585,690 active members*
4,530 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Esprit > Calculating & rendering very slow on win7 machine

Question Calculating & rendering very slow on win7 machine

Dear forum members,

I am currently helping out in some IT work at a Dutch company. One of the big problems is ESPRIT taking ages to calculate/render a project. They use the following setup:

They have a Windows 7 64 bit computer:
    i7-2600 @ 3.40 GHz
    16 GB DDR 3
    NVIDEA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    Esprit: build 19.0.4.1343, release date: 28 feb 2012

The computer is connected to a 5 axis Mori Seiki NMV8000 DCG.

When running Esprit the computer uses about 15% of its CPU and 3,5 GB Ram. It takes ages (up to 1,5 hour) to run the calculations and renderings. If we try the exact same file on a laptop running an older i5, 8 gb ram and smaller graphics card the entire calculations/rendering is done in about 1-2 minutes.

Do you have any ideas on why this setup is giving problems? Thank you very much in advance!

Warm greetings
    Tim

Don't know if any of this will be much help, but I've had similar problems with rendering in the past, although nothing like an hour and a half. The cause turned out to be an out-dated Mori-Seiki add-in. I noticed that your version of ESPRIT is quite a bit out-of-date, and if you're on maintenance, I would definitely update it. I have found that ESPRIT only works well for a few months before an update needs to be installed-and yes, that does seem a bit strange, but that's been my experience.

Do you have identical machine definitions on both the laptop and the workstation? Was the .esp file created on the workstation or the laptop? I would check the settings in the simulation parameters on the fast machine, re-create the stock and the target in the Solids tab, and try loosening the tolerances. Also, I would definitely use Stock Automation so that you don't have to torture yourself watching (in slow motion) the already-proven renderings again. I'm programming a Mori-Seiki NT-1000 (also 5-axis) with Esprit on a workstation very similar to yours, same RAM, same OS, etc., and some of the parts have 516 012" x .050" windows, yet the rendering is quick. Seems like something amiss in your settings on the workstation. If you do find the solution, please let us know what it turned out to be.

Thank you for your reply Tolyatti, I will try to update Esprit and the Mori Seiki add-in. Will report back if I found the problem.

Hi Tolyatti and other forum members,

After some time we were able to update the Esprit software and after the update it was quite a bit faster. Not as fast as we would like to have it but definitely an improvement.

Thank you again for your reply.

Warm greetings,
    Tim

Another thing you can do to speed things up is set your Windows theme to "Windows classic" That new translucent style in "7" eats up a lot of horsepower. I got his right from Esprit tech support.

Greg