584,817 active members*
4,613 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Prolight turning center mach 3 conversion
Page 3 of 4 1234
    I was just trying to point out to Mark that he will need some type of brake or "pawl" to position and lock the tool post. I included some pictures of mine for some ideas as he is building one from scratch.

I never said that you had to rotate it 300 degrees to lock the tool, just that you had to back the tool a little bit to lock it in after you rotated it. I did mention that my tool changer has a micro switch that activates once every rotation, but I don't know what exactly Prolight used this for.

Your right my tool changer does look a lot like the Dyna Mite one, but I have had this one torn completely apart and there there is nothing else inside that would allow it to unlock and turn back wards and there aren't any extra wires running out of the unit other than for the stepper motor and limit switch. The pawl is just a piece of metal and a spring.

Looking at this picture it looks like the Dyna Mite tool changer has a large solenoid on top to activate the pawl which is different than mine.

Dale P.

Prolight turning center mach 3 conversion

I was referring to traveling 300 degrees forward to the next position called as an example. On a bidirectional unit it could be as little as 60. If you look at the macro, the backing up against the pawl takes very little rotation (10 units or 3.6 degrees). I, like you think that micro switch is a home switch. If you need it to go faster (even as a single direction changer), turn up the feed rate.

Understood on the solenoid. Though how hard would it be to install to gain bidirectional capabilities? Ok maybe that is another project ;-)
    A lazy man does it twice.

I will say that my lathe was built with a specific purpose in mind.
    I machine lots of bushings and rollers using brass and delrin.
    All are pretty basic. Some a little more complicated. I use three tools on a gang type setup.
    These three tools are all I need to machine about 20 different types of things I use. I use two size drill bits and a cutoff tool.

Now this would probably not work nearly as well on steel, but still does great on aluminum.
    When I need to turn steel, I use a manual lathe.

Not to take away from the turret. That looks very cool.
    I thought long and hard about it before I decided to go with gang tooling, but now I am glad I did.
    It works better than I expected it to.
    Lee

I think for simplicity sake i will go with gang tooling to keep overall cost down. I'd love the auto tool changer, but the ones second hand off ebay are still $800-$1000. For now, i only plan on turning aluminum, and brass in really small quantities. Like LeeWay, i'd like to find a happy medium to where i can get a good general set of gang tools and have it make multiple parts.

My cutoff tool holder is actually a QCTP. That can easily accept other tools quickly without having to reset anything to switch back to the parting tool.
    My drill bit holders are just a coupe Tormach tool holders. One a 1/4" set screw type.
    The other an ER 16 collet holder. It can change different size bits quickly as well.

The key is not having to reset your offsets when you need to change something and then revert back to standard tool set.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by boatlover View Post
    Larry please post pictures of you machine so we can see what you have which will allow us to help you better. Don't worry about the wiring if you take it one step at a time it's pretty easy.

Dale P.
    I will try to get pictures this weekend. Mine looks just like the ones pictured. It has a c5 collet with the turret changer. It Has a tail stock. Is the only difference.

Not sure what I am going to do with it, but for $400 I couldn't pass it up.

Larry

My 3D printer has been taking most of my time up currently. I'll get back to this project soon enough.

I decided to up grade my Prolight lathe and also my manual 9X20 lathe with 5" Bison chucks, so my 4" Bison chuck that came off the prolight lathe is up for sale at this time. I posted it on E-bay and it has three days left and so far is going for just a few bucks!

Here is the link. The chuck comes with a 2-1/4" X 8 back plate so it will screw right onto your lathe.

4" Three Jaw Bison Lathe Chuck 2 1 4" x 8 Back Plate | eBay

Just let me know if you have any questions.

Dale P.
    [email protected]

In the next month i hope to start this project back up. if anyone else is working on a similiar build or has done so, feel free to shoot some pics of your controller for me! Thank you!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    In the next month i hope to start this project back up
    I see in the local craigslist that you are selling your prolight. Your Sherline working out for you?

I really want to convert the lathe, but I have a few projects I need to focus on and both don't involved turned parts, so prioritizing :/ well see. If it sells it sells, if it doesn't I'll keep it and use it.

Which CL and how much are you asking?

$1500 Seattle

Thank you very much Boatlover! Here have been my thoughts about this project

Hey I don't have the words to express my gratitude for your offer and the effort of uploading this photograph! Now that I finally have a lathe to put the ATC on... I was thinking about this steper motor with a worm gear reduction that is for sale on Ebay! perhaps I can take it put even a slower gear reduction. and set a a "Set of pins to lock in position with an encoder switch to name the tools posts in that way the march-3 can use them as named tools! you know "T3 M01" etc! Attachment 228978
    Attachment 228980

Very much any kind of help will be greatly appreciated.

you wouldnt even need the encoder.

Hwy wouldn't I need the encoder! and please understand that I'm pretty ignorant! I still trying to decide what cnc kit to buy! I want to go inexpensive but I want to have something decent! no crap! I don't want something that would break at the end of the week! Hope you understand me!

Would you kindly consider to recommend a Kit that I can use on my lathe?? perhaps a 3 axis to use the latest one to name the tool locations! any kind of information will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Prolight turning center mach 3 conversion

Email Arturo at cnc4pc.com

Mark, steppers don't usually use encoders but it is possible. The reason I stated that it wasn't needed is because the tools are equally spaced. Just modify an M6 macro (tool change). It will rotate x amount of steps clockwise (x could be 60 degree if 6 tools, 90 if 4 tools, etc). At this time the pins could lock the turret. On mine (a 6 tool turret with a pawl not a locking pin) the turret rotates 60 degrees, backs up a few degrees to rest against the pawl (btw the pawl is adjustable to insure correct tool height). There are switches within my turret not being implemented at the time. They were used with the original wiring and as I understand how to use them, maybe I will. Til then it works perfectly.

Men, thank you so much for your advice! I hope I'm not imposing asking for it but do you have a link to a blog to read a bit more about this! I probably will use the pawl that you mentioned! because it would be way easier for me to do what you have than to have a prong and pint to lock in place! At the end of the day a turret only put pressure in one direction, and I hope that I'm not asking for to much but would you recommend a place to buy a good decent CNC kit! I'm making my best try to stay away from Ebay, but need something that is not very expensive, "by the way I still a college student, and money is very tight, and I'm doing this as a mean to try to pay a bit of my debt! I know that perhaps i may fall in my face, but at least I'm trying. Thanks again for your valuable support and advice!

Marco.

Page 3 of 4 1234