585,981 active members*
4,470 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > TTS : Why did I wait so long?

TTS : Why did I wait so long?

In preparation of my new machine I purchased a TTS system. I ended up getting Darkon tool holders. Wow! I was using the Grizzly quick change system and that thing absolutely sucks in comparison. Not just in tool change time and repeatability, but in chatter and finish quality. I cut 25% faster than I did with my old setup and it was silent. The surface finish was amazingly better. I should have checked the runout on the grizzly before I removed it. It must have been way out..

Can't wait to get the new machine with a PDB.

-Keith

I ordered some TTS tooling from Ebay that a couple of people raved about; Tormach users have purchased them too...the ER32 collets are from Shars.

Every toolholder sucks; I have almost .006" run-out on some of them.

Can someone please direct me to some proper TTS tooling; I'll look at Darkon. Any others?

Thanks,

-Jason

Maybe it's the collets from Shars though too.

-Jason

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedsCustom View Post

-Jason
    Did you check the run out without the collets installed? I bought some too. The most runout I had was 0.0015

Quote Originally Posted by MRM RCModels View Post
    Did you check the run out without the collets installed? I bought some too. The most runout I had was 0.0015
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedsCustom View Post

-Jason
    Also, I buy my collets from for tormach.

I've tried a few brands of TTS (and "TTS-style") tool holders. I talk about them in this thread: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/novako...ce_runout.html. The thread is mostly me talking to myself, but there's a couple videos on there that may be interesting to you guys. Make sure to check the description in both videos for some additional information.

Here are the videos...
    (note that the "numbers" on the dial test indicator are thousandths of an inch - one whole rotation on that dial would indicate only 8-thousandths of runout)
    Runout test: Tormach vs. YinSheng (AKA "eBay") quick change ("TTS") collet chucks - YouTube
    Runout test: 11 Darkon quick change ("TTS") collet chucks - YouTube

New 10pcs C3 4 ER32 1 38L Collet Chuck Holder CNC Milling and 1pcs Wrench | eBay

I had bought these. I gotta run more tests and get to the bottom of this.

Thanks for posting up the vids; I have seen them before but not in full length.

Thanks for the input from everyone.

-Jason

Well, I got my Novakon R8 collet (Precision) and I checked run-out on my tool-holders with my various tools installed. I'm using my SPI Digital Electronic Indicator; checked like 3 of my common tools, couple of tenths and certainly not 005"+!

I had .002" on the tip of my electric edge-finder, put a lathe cutter in my vise and cleaned up the edge. Same as above, this was a productive day for the run-out.

Don't mean to hi-jack your thread. Sorry about that.

-Jason

Just pushed it even harder and it was awesome. Too bad the motor in my little 135 isn't up to really pushing it...

I can't stop talking about how great TTS is. My wife is pretty sick of it...

-Keith

Yep, sounds about right

I tried writing a script to measure tool lengths but ended up just breaking down and buying some MariTool R8 to ER32 tool holders. They are not as PDB friendly but they were really worth it as far as accuracy and repeatability go.

R8 ER32 COLLET CHUCK TOOL HOLDER BRIDGEPORT MILL MariTool