585,759 active members*
4,058 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Stepper choice

I am building a small CNC router/engraver for plexy and maybe wood.
    For the router I will use a small Dremel-style tool that weights 0,67
    kg. Now I have problem with motor choice. I will probably buy this
    motor: CNC Nema17 Stepper Motor 2 Phase DC3 4V 1 7A 48 oz in 4 Lead 1 8 Degree 220 G Cm | eBay
    but want to be sure that it is strong enough for what I need. My
    second choice is this:
    Nema17 42BYGH0425 Hybrid Stepping Motor 4 8kg cm 1 8DEGRE 2 5A 48mm 2 Phase | eBay.
    I am not sure will first one be strong enough for what I need because
    I am new in all this so would like to hear yours advice.

Without knowing more information, it's very hard to say, but Nema 17 motors are generally too small for any size router.

What method will you be using for linear motion? What size will the machine be?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

For linear motion I will be using stainless steel rods (etc. from printer) and linear sliders from eBay. Size of CNC will be cca. 50x50 cm (workable area). For more info about motors please go to eBay links that I provided snd there it is.

If your planning on using a Dremel, either of those steppers will be more than adequate. I have almost identical ones in my pcb mill using a Proxxon spindle and I've used it for everything from machining timber plaques, to perspex and aluminium engraving. A 50cm x 50cm work area though I would consider more than a little ambitious for such small steppers, NEMA23's would be better suited for that size with a better spindle than a Dremel, which really is only tenuously spindle-like in reality (pretty crap in plain english).

You will be very limited though with what you can do. If your engraving you'll have no trouble, machining will be far more time consuming with slow speeds and shallow cuts.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Mine CNC will have 3 main purposes: 1. Pcb milling 2. Plexiglas's panels cutting 3. Plexiglas's panels engraving. Plexiglas's panels and pcb's are going to be for mine flight simulator. I know mine CNC won't break any speed record but I wanted to make sure that it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by tomislav.babich View Post
    Mine CNC will have 3 main purposes: 1. Pcb milling 2. Plexiglas's panels cutting 3. Plexiglas's panels engraving. Plexiglas's panels and pcb's are going to be for mine flight simulator. I know mine CNC won't break any speed record but I wanted to make sure that it will work.
    It'll do it, but the Dremel will be very painful for you. They are pretty crap for cnc work. Apart from being weak, they have so much play. For comparable machines look up Sable-2015 or Panther machines, as they use 40-60oz/in steppers. But the work area is much smaller than what you want for yours of course.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!