585,737 active members*
4,870 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Questions to ask at demo time
Page 1 of 2 12

Questions to ask at demo time

I've finally got my company convinced that they need to change CAM systems. They've made initial contact with, um..., i'm not sure who. But they will be scheduling a demo soon.

Anything that I may not think of to ask? We're going to be looking at the 5 axis package (whatever level that is).
    Dustin B.
    ================
    I hear and I forget.
    I see and I remember.
    I do and I understand.

I always like to see them demo one of my parts, vs a part they have practiced 400,000 times.

Even better if they demo it with you at keyboard and walk you through the steps.

if you company is looking for 5-axis software this is not your basic software you should try many before buying some would be Surface cam and Mastercam i think has 5-axis package Also take the time to learn the software even if you have used cad/can before start with the basic and start with the idea that you know nothing and in the end you'll know everything
    it better to learn software than just get it to do what you want

You must absolutely insist on a test cut on your machine. The post-processor can make all the difference in the world, but you will never know if it is up to the task without running a path on your machine.

Also, because of the complexity of 5-axis, support is more important then ever. You are going to have questions and issues, and you will need answers immediately, not sometime next week. Do they have a forum where you can ask questions, and get answers?

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

It's the post that makes any 5X system work. Your not going to get a test cut on your machine without a post specifically written for YOUR machine. It would be nice if the machine Mfg'rs would make 2 machines that were the same, but they dont. So every 5x post is a custom post. No one is going to spend 15-30 hours writting a custom post just to do a test cut.

You want to know ifg they can do it. Talk to another 5X customer of theirs. That's a little more practical.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

The Post For The Machine Can Be Haggled Over At Time Of Sale If Your Software Is Over 10k Up Front The Software Company Knows They Got You For Life Make Them Give Your The Post Don't Pay For It

I'm evaluating 5-axis software right now, and doing test cuts. So it is possible to do. Unless your machine is a one-of-a-kind, it shouldn't be unrealistic to expect the VAR to put a little effort into tweaking a post so you can do a test cut. They are going to make a lot of money off you for years to come, so if they are not willing to help you, then that is indicitive of the support you will receive later if you are a customer.

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

The post is the dealers labor for the job. Would you work for 30 hours for free? So how many 10K systems hace you bought that your so familiar with this concept? Or how many 5X systems?

5x installs can be a lot of work. They can sell a 3D system to a mold maker for the same money with a minimal amount of labor. But what you want them to do is work full time for an extra week for free.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

But what you want them to do is work full time for an extra week for free.
    No, what I want them to do is prove their product. If they are not willing to do so then there's the door.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mattera
    The post is the dealers labor for the job.
    Mike Mattera
    THE COMMISION ON THE SALE IS THE LABOR FOR THE JOB FOR BOTH DEALER AND SOFTWARE COMPANY. ANY DEALER THAT WOULD JERK YOU AROUND OVER A POST. THROW HIM OUT OF YOUR SHOP BUTT FIRST SO HE LANDS ON HIS WALLET AND CALL ANOTHER DEALER!

I don't know a single dealer of any software that does the post work. I am pretty sure that Post processors are done by the actuall software company. Of course I use Gibbscam and they don't have a full 5 axis package that I know of (been out of the update loop for awhile), but gibbs does all post processors inhouse. The rep for surfcam said the same.

But regardless if the software can do 5axis it shouldn't be too much to ask for it to perform on your machine.

Don't know of anyone who's been in business for more than a couple of years that dosn't have a post that will fit Most machines.
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

But if providing a post is a source of income, as it is with MasterCam, I could see why they would hesitate. One of these days they are going to have to pull their head out of their a*s and see how the rest of the CAM software companies are doing business. I have never paid a single penny for a WorkNC post processor, and that includes 5-axis. OneCNC, Mecsoft and many others provide posts included in their cost, because they realize that a post is a part of a CAM software, not an additional luxury.

Dan

ALSO WITH MASTERCAM DEALERS ARE A DIME A DOZEN SO WHO DO THEY THINK THERE FOOLING ANYWAYS

There not fooling me. I got a quote for MasterCam X and it was priced higher than UG! And $3000 for a post, ya, right. Let's see, I need posts for 4 different machines, so that's $12K for posts! (chair)

Gimme a break!

Dan

That Why I Went With Bobcad For 3d Work And The Price You Can't Beat It. I Had Bobcad Write A Custorm Post For A Yasnak I-80 We Spented A Few Days On It "no Charge"

I have edgecam which comes with several off the shelf posts, as well as post editor that is fairly easy to figure out.

No charge for any.

i have about 20 different posts pluc modifacitons made from gibbs cam and not a single time did they ask for money!

A couple of those times I wasn't even on their maintenence program!
    thanks
    Michael T.

Gibbs Is A Very Good Company There Know If You Jerk The Market The Market Can Jerk You

This is funny we give the Software with over 70 posts with the system. even a genric axis post that can be tweaked.
    And to say that not one of the dealers does there posts is even a LOL as we have a full time post guy for are dealer ship.

As for gibbs and Surfcam you can not modifi there posts withp out going to them .
    And as someone stated they use an out side source for most and he is a freind of mine.

But both those software like MC come with alott of posts.
    We do not charge for MOST posts only the complex multy axis ones if needed.
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

This is funny we give the Software with over 70 posts with the system. even a genric axis post that can be tweaked.
    And to say that not one of the dealers does there posts is even a LOL as we have a full time post guy for are dealer ship.

As for gibbs and Surfcam you can not modifi there posts withp out going to them .
    And as someone stated they use an out side source for most and he is a freind of mine.
    Your not trying to start somethin are you?

the second statement kinda validates my statement don't you think? If I own gibbs cam and talk to gibbscam dealers wouldn't it follow I don't know of any dealers that do their own posts?

just thought I would point that out. but then you could think I was saying that refering to other peoples posts, couldn't you?

its all good! :cheers:
    thanks
    Michael T.

Page 1 of 2 12