584,837 active members*
5,204 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > CNC Plasma / Oxy Fuel Cutting Machines > Advice on adding on a rotary indexer for tube cutting and Ohmic sensor upgrade

Advice on adding on a rotary indexer for tube cutting and Ohmic sensor upgrade

Just got in a rotary indexer for my precision plasma table, and I wanted to seek some advice on the setup and install before I tear into it.

The indexer has a 25 to 1 gear reduction. The stepper is a 620 oz and I got the 5th axis upgrade package from CandCNC to add onto my BladeRunner package.

I also got the Ohmic sensor package from CandCNC. Anyone have any feedback on Ohmic vs the touch and go with the floating head system like I have now?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails plasma_system_upgrades.jpg   omic_sensor_plasma.jpg  
    Desert Fabworks LLC -Fort Mohave, Arizona
    www.desertfabworks.com - Project Sites: www.cncplasmabuild.com - www.cncrouterbuild.com

Quote Originally Posted by rescueweasel View Post

I also got the Ohmic sensor package from CandCNC. Anyone have any feedback on Ohmic vs the touch and go with the floating head system like I have now?

Thanks!
    I'm probably understanding you wrong but you cannot have a floating head system and touch and go at the same time, wel I suppose you could but it would defeat the purpose of a floating head. Ohmic sensing is by far superior to "touch and go" until you run into metals covered with plastic (like brushed stainless).

edit, I see on your picture of the "feather touch ohmic sensing" system for floating head only. I've never called a motor driven torch a floating torch, to me a floating torch is a torch on a air cylinder with a "ski cup" or roller balls.

The torch is a floating head system because it rides on parallel linear shafts and can move up and down on the shafts "floats" when sensing the material height. The Ohmic system uses the floating head and it's limit switch as a backup in case it does not sense the material it keeps it from driving the torch through the material. I'm happy with my touch and go floating head system now I think I may use the Ohmic system as a collision stop system.

In the case a part flips up after a cut, when the torch touches it using the Ohmic sense it will see it as a limit switch activation and stop the machine.

Just an idea. Has anyone else done this?
    Desert Fabworks LLC -Fort Mohave, Arizona
    www.desertfabworks.com - Project Sites: www.cncplasmabuild.com - www.cncrouterbuild.com

I have to the Ohmic setup on my table too....some times its more of a pain in the but but other times it works great. I would recommond when you install it to put connectors on the limits so you can just easily unhook it and go back to touch and go if need be. I used to cut up a whole sheet of 10ga and it worked perfectly! It doenst like rusty metal tho! I haven't tried it on thin stuff yet. Also hates water...