Login

Servo maximum voltage

Hi

I am converting from steppers to servos and am wondering if the
    MOOG 23-L55-50 430oz servo Dan Mauch sells will function with my
    current power supply.
    My supply provides 54 DC. The specs on the moog mention the terminal
    voltage as 36. Then there is a spec, rated terminal voltage of 12 to
    60. Am I too close to the maximum of 60 volts for safe operation.

Regards, Barry

Servo voltage

I contacted the manufacturer of the servo in question and got this response.
    I thought I`d post this for the members. The one aspect of the answer I don`t understand is they mention that the amps at 60 volts is 1.1. Is that a typo, I`d assume the amperage would be much higher.

"The catalog data shows the voltage range for the C23-L55W50 as 24-60 VDC. This is the range of voltages the motor is designed to work within. In the column labeled Terminal Voltage, we indicate 60 VDC. All the data you see in the column for the W50 winding is data at 60 volts - speed, torque, etc. 54 volts will not cause any problems for the motor. Something else you might consider would be the amount of current your supply can provide. Rated current (@ 60 VDC) for this motor is 1.1 amps. As long as your supply can furnish 1.1 amps at 54 VDC, the motor will not have any issues. One cautionary note - the 430 oz.-in. (peak torque) is demag torque, not operating torque - 430 oz.-in of applied torque will permanently demag the motor. You will also need to limit the current on your power supply to not exceed about 2 amps or you could possibly burn the motor up. Please let me know if you require further assistance."

Best Regards,
    Robbie Queen - Business Development Manager
    Moog Components Group
    Attached Files Attached Files