585,743 active members*
5,013 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > How to access oil distributor under X axis?
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: How to access oil distributor under X axis?

I added a check valve in the Z axis main feed line, this stopped it from siphoning back down, it now lubes the Z points when the lever is pulled one time instead of 3 or 4 times.
    mike sr

If I disconnect the stepper and box from the x-axis like Bryan Turner showed, will I have to loosen or remove the X gib to be able to move the table to the right to access the left oil manifold on a Series 2 1100 with out damaging anything? Can I use that method and move the table further to the right (with support for the table against the chip tray) to access the second oil manifold that is near the right side?

I have gone through the whole cleaning and lube checking again. The front x-axis slide still seems a little drier than I would like. I have tried to verify the hole from the banjo fitting to the slide is drilled through, and I think it is, but maybe it is clogged a little. Without doing anything but moving the table clear to the left, I can get my hand (barely) into the left end under the table to unscrew the banjo fitting and could see what looked like good oil flow out of the banjo. That seems to indicate that the port holes may not be clear enough on the front X-axis slide. I attempted to screw in a new banjo fitting, with a direct line to the pump to see what that produced, but gave up as I could not get that 6mm banjo fitting threaded into the hole from that end of the table. Can only do that by feel, and there was always a drop of oil getting on the fitting making it hard to hold onto to get it threaded. I am now back to thinking I will just move the table over to get access, and check it out directly.

I did buy some ATF to try to run through to see if I get any red on the front x-axis slide. I haven't tried that yet.

My other thought was to use a rubber stopper with the 4mm tubing through it that I could hold into that 6mm threaded hole where the banjo fitting goes, and run the oil line directly off the pump to see if it produces a lot more oil on that x-axis front slide.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbkahuna View Post

I did buy some ATF to try to run through to see if I get any red on the front x-axis slide. I haven't tried that yet.
    Might want to check if atf is safe for your Turcite Coated ways!

If I disconnect the stepper and box from the x-axis like Bryan Turner showed, will I have to loosen or remove the X gib to be able to move the table to the right to access the left oil manifold on a Series 2 1100 with out damaging anything? Can I use that method and move the table further to the right (with support for the table against the chip tray) to access the second oil manifold that is near the right side?
    As I mentioned earlier in this thread I certainly would remove the X-axis gib to provide some play and prevent the weight of the table damaging the ways. The Series 2 table weighs 70kg (>150lb) so there will be quit a large force on the ends as the table hangs further out - potentially digging into the Turcite. I wouldn't want to rely on an additional support taking the weight properly unless there was enough play.
    Bear in mind that the front X axis way only receives half the lubrication that the back way receives (in total). At the back, both the gib and the way receive the same lubrication (i.e. each has it's own restrictor) but at the front the lubrication from only one restrictor is divided between the dovetail and flat surfaces. The channels at the front are also not particularly well designed so the distribution between dovetail an flat surfaces is not ideal. I added a second restrictor in parallel in order to double up the flow to this area. All 3 axes "suffer" from the same issue. What you are seeing might possibly be quite normal.
    Step

Step,

That helps. I wondered if that might just be the nature of the beast. If I separate the Z axis oil circuit and use a second pump, then I would also get better flow through all of the X and Y circuits, but would expect to "lose" more oil. If I go that route, I will also relocate the splitter that is under the base. I was even considering a dedicated fitting and oil source for that front X slide, like my testing idea, just for peace of mind.

If I can access the left manifold, then I might try using a different restrictor size. I was concerned that if I messed with the balance, I would just starve another area, and have a whole project trying to rebalance the flow. If I separate the Z flow, then at least I would only have to worry about the X and Y, and could just make sure everything gets plenty of oil. The restrictors I have looked at on my S2 1100 are all #4s, as well as the replacements I have gotten from Tormach. That is for both the manifold restrictors, and the gib fittings.

I have seen that others have used ATF on a regular basis in the machines, and have seen no reports of any damage or issues from that, so I thought that may be a way to verify flow to the sliding surface, and how much.

Thanks for the help.

I have seen that others have used ATF on a regular basis in the machines, and have seen no reports of any damage or issues from that, so I thought that may be a way to verify flow to the sliding surface, and how much.

Thanks for the help.
    I was just throwing out a warning.
    What I see others do, makes me question just about everything these days

Off topic, but plus 1 on dew's comment, you can hurt yourself laughing at what some folks do on YouTube.

Terry

I have a Series 2 1100 with the Tormach chip trays and backsplash. I was measuring for a platform to support the table as I moved it to the right using the "loose x-axis mount" method. I noticed it looked like it might clear the right edge of the chip pan... but it won't. The table sits about 1/4" below the edge of the chip tray. I have about 10" of additional travel for the table to move to the right until it would hit the chip tray. That is plenty to access the left oil manifold, but might not give me room for the one on the right. I could take the chip the trays off, lift the machine about 3/8", or shim the right side about 1/10" to give the clearance. For tipping the base .100" on the mounting pads, I don't know if the mounting bolts in the base holes have enough room to do that. So, I am back to unfastening the ballscrew from the motor/mount so I can move the table either way, or trying a second pump. I considered what Step said about the design, so I looked at the oil system more closely.

The second pump is a whole lot easier, it seems, at this point. It also should lead to getting plenty of oil at all spots and have a better chance of overcoming the inherent issues with the original oil system.

The ATF idea was from here on CNCzone and people that have posted here over the years. I'm with you on the youtube comments. It is hard to believe what is out there.

I am finally going to be able to do the rest of the oil system work tomorrow. I am planning to disconnect the table from the motor and move the table to the right to get access to everything. In following up on the suggestion to remove the gib, I was looking at the X-axis gib and it looks like the big end of the gib is on the left... on the motor end. It looks like the stepper mount might be in the way of removing the gib to the left, but might clear it if the motor box is rotated a bit. Is that that correct? The gib oil fitting is on the right end of the x-axis gib. In my mind I thought that would be the end that the gib would come out from, but to my eyes it looks like it comes out on the left side.

I will get the motor and mount disconnected from the table and the limit stop removed from the left side, and the table should slide to the right on my support blocking until I can access the left manifold and maybe the banjo fitting for the front slide and dovetail with a little reach. I plan to see how that goes and what I find to see if I need to do any more.

Well, that didn't quite go how I thought it would! The x-axis gib does come out on the motor side (left side). On my 2010 1100 Series II+ machine the motor mount box did interfere with the gib removal. I could rotate the box until it had just a little bit of remaining interference between the gib and the box. I thought about nudging the box a bit towards me to see if I could wrestle the gib out but thought I would have some trouble putting it back in by myself, and wasn't sure I could do it completely without stopping. I proceeded to slide the table to the right to access the left side, 6 position oil manifold. Like others, I found a couple of fitting that were loose, including the banjo fitting on the left y-axis slide that was really loose. The o-ring on the bottom of it was really hard, but it must have sealed some as the pump handle retract time wasn't super fast all these years. I also found the location of the spare oil fitting ferrule... I guess they left it there just in case...

The outlet on the left end of that manifold goes to the left y-axis slide. The outlet points right at the back of the motor box with not much room. The orifice fitting and the nut and ferrule leave hardly any room for the tubing to turn. At a minimum that is restricting the flow, maybe by a lot. I put in a new line, and all new fittings on that one. To give clearance until I can get back to it, I slid the manifold to the right a ways and used the right screw with a couple of washers on top of it to hold the assembly down between two of the outlet fittings. I also used a short hard rubber tube under the left screw to seal up that hole since it isn't used since I slid the manifold to the right. I made sure all of the lines and fittings cleared all the moving and sliding parts and put it back together.

Since I had to disconnect the x-axis gib oil line when I thought I was going to remove the entire gib, I didn't have the opportunity to further the impact on the handle retract time as I went. But, It is now faster than it was, so maybe I improved on another issue or two. After I got it back together with the couple of new fittings, I pumped it a couple of times and measured 10 second retract time. I will get back out to adjust the gib and see how it does when the gib is adjusted to where it needs to be. I left it a couple of turns looser than it was on the right end gib screw (turned it in to loosen the gib up when working and backed it back out to 2 or so turns from where it was before I started to get it semi-tightened up).

Not real excited with the gunk I found on the Turcite slides. I think the channels in them were mostly clogged up. I cleaned off the left side, but my next project will be to remove the motor and box, so I can slide the table to the left to do the right side oil manifold and clean the right side sliding surfaces.

Thanks for posting your details.
    Does your coolant drain direct out of the table threaded drain holes, or do you have extensions to ensure the coolant and debris does not capillary run around and coat the underneath X slideway?
    Worth installing if you have not already.
    Cliff

Drainage has been various styles on the back of the table. It was without anything, then I used flexible tubes, and at one point had a pvc pipe cut in two for a channel down the back that moved the coolant to the drain side of the tank. I haven't used flood coolant for a while and nothing is on the the table now. I will keep that in mind when I fill the coolant tank.

The gunk was on the front slide as well, and that has the stainless shield in place to stop/reduce that. I thought that might be from day one and from surface protection for shipping.

Could you please repost the image? I think something happed to all of the attached thumbnails, because I can't view them anymore.

Page 2 of 2 12