585,752 active members*
4,009 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > DIY router table adding 4th axis for making rollers

DIY router table adding 4th axis for making rollers

Hi all,

I am trying to add a 4th axis to my DIY router table that will rotate around the X-Axis in order to make some simple roller wheels. My table is a typical gantry style running Mach3, and the A-axis (4th axis) will be very basic as I don't need to make anything more complex at the moment. I basically plan on adding a stepper motor with a mount attached to the shaft that I can mount some HDPE to in order to make some 1" rollers for another project. So I would like to be able to just move the Y-axis to the center of the HDPE and move the X-axis and Z-Axis to cut the profile as the A-Axis rotates under the bit to cut a wheel. I am having trouble trying to figure out how to add the 4th (A) axis to the machine definition, and making the whole thing work properly. I am self trained on MasterCAM X5 as my job does not give me training opportunity on the system but they allow me to use MasterCam when I like. I am fair at making 3-axis toolpaths but this 4th axis is confusing.

If I had access to a lathe I think it would be easier to make the rollers but I do not know anyone with a lathe. Also it would be nice to learn how to do 4 axis machining for future use.

Any advise would be great.

From what I understand most home made machines use a standard fanuc type post . Why not use a generic 4 axis post and control def .

Ok, So I am trying a Fanuc 4-axis post. The machine def seemed to stay the same and I'm not so sure its wrong for my DIY table. I have attached a picture of My definition.
    Attachment 200334

So I am still trying to figure out how to make the wheel move under the tool. I have been experimenting with many different toolpaths and with the axis control in each but only once was I able to get the A-Axis to turn and it didn't do what I expected at all. Here is a screenshot of my latest test.

Attachment 200336

What would be the typical steps to create a toolpath that just runs the tool in a straight profile back and forth while the A-axis turns the stock beneath it? basically like a CNC lathe would do.