585,766 active members*
4,027 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Milltronics vm 17

Looking at buying a 1998 milltronics vm 17 with 45x 16y 20z work envelope 10 hp spindle with 20 tool atc. Looks to be in decent condition however I am new to the Cnc machining and looks can be deceiving. Is there anything I should keep an eye out for on this machine? What is a fair price? It is up and running now haven't seen it cut but runs threw the motions. Thanks ahead of time.

Is the 45x 16y table size or travel? I’m thinking it’s the table size with travels of 30x 17y (travel determines working envelope). What controller does it have and what kind of lubrication system does it use? Some of the older ones used grease fittings that rarely got serviced because they were difficult to get to. Is the monitor LCD or CRT? CRT monitors were prone to failure and hard to replace but LCD were new on the market about that time. What are you going to use it for? Should be OK for most applications but these older machines are slow compared to today’s. Depending on what it was used for, I’m thinking in the low teens would be a fair price but certainly not more than 20K.

Milltronics vm 17

It is suppose to be travel I've specifically asked twice. He claims that it was an up grade option. I believe it is CRT. It will be a hobby machine possibly light production. I had a hobby machine with 50 ipm rapids so im thinking it will seem very fast to me. It has flood coolant. With automatic oiler system. How is the rigidity. My old machine I would have to add .010 or so when cutting a hole to get the size required. I will find out on the controller. It is running centurion 6 for programming.

Called milltronics they were able to pull the info up for that machine it is a 98 with 45x16x19.5 travels ac drives that are still available ridged tap centurion 6 control.

Sounds like a nice machine. Remember getting a used machine is a crap shoot, you just never know what you’re going to get until you get it home and try to run it. Repairs can run in the thousands easily. That’s why I discourage buying these things for hobby use. Without income to support them, they can become boat anchors real quick.

Centurion 6 is a good control. For what you’re going to use it for you should be just fine. If you’re unfamiliar with CNC machines, find a local dealer to set the machine up (leveling, squaring the head, etc. after you get it home. He should be able to tell you what needs fixing right away. Sounds like your old machine may have needed a back-lash adjustment and it’s always good to have that done on any used machine after delivery. These are precision instruments and need to treated as such even if it’s a “hobby machine”.

15k for that machine could be a good starting point but keep in mind that machine new today would cost 50K to 60K. What are they asking for it? I wouldn’t be surprised if they were asking 25K with the way the market is today.

The old machine was brand new it would cut ok as long as you didn't try to go more than .050 ad and .100 rd while being advertised as a semi production machine able to turn .750 end mills. I was able to put a dial indicator in the spindle and move it .010 with hand force pulling down.

I got my machine home and got it into the shop now I am waiting to get a buck boost transformer as the wild leg is about 253 in the shop.