585,931 active members*
3,714 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

14mm to 5/8" shaft adapter/extender?

For a swap from motors with a 5/8" keyed shaft, mounted with 4 bolts on a 75mm circle, to NEMA34 motors with a 14mm shaft with two flats - I need some shaft adapter/extenders. The adapter plates I had made are almost 1/2" thick. Have to be since bolts thread into them from both sides.

Dunno why the old shafts were 5/8" on a mill made in Taiwan with motors made in the UK.

I have found a few ready made parts like these, with many different sizes on both ends, but of course not a one with the combination I need.

Galane

Here are some ideas for you this shaft extension is for a 14mm motor shaft with a key, the other end is .750, to go from 14mm to .625 is hard to do as if you need to have a motor key then you will need a blind hole, so just a little harder to do the key way, the other way if you are using timing pulleys you can make a flanged extension

These shaft extensions will be hard to find, If you have a lathe then you can make them, I custom make them to suit each machine I do
    Mactec54

A lathe, hmmm. Have a 13" South Bend made in 1914 and a 10" Montgomery Ward made in 1940. Those two are operational. Also have a Monarch 12CK made in 1942 and the newest is a 17x78" LeBlond Regal trainer made in 1944. Both of those are in a state of being fixed up to running condition.

I could make them but would be easier to find some, even if they're semi finished ones with a 14mm hole in one end about 1.25" deep. I could then put in four holes for set screws and turn down the other end to .625 then mill a key slot.

The adapter plates are on their way from Blake Augustine. I'll be able to measure the adapter length needed once those get here.

Will be nice to get the mill going, after I get all the parts bought or made that would be easy to make with the mill they are going onto!