584,802 active members*
5,071 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Which Cutting Saw for Metals (ferrous and non-ferrous) to choice from?

Question Which Cutting Saw for Metals (ferrous and non-ferrous) to choice from?

I'm looking at purchasing a saw to cut metals for example: Al, Steel, SS, Titanium, Platinum, just to name some.
    The cutting saws I've been looking at are the Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw from Harbor Freight that has a 1hp motor with 3 speeds.
    The material being cut could be as much at 1" thick.

I've also looked at 14" Chop Saws that can also do the job.

I don't do production. It's all one up stuff.

I know there are industrial Bandsaws and Chop Saws out there, I don't know if I need one though right this minute.

What would be your choice? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Not enough info here. Cut off bandsaws have a limit as to size in width and height, so you need to take the dimensions of your stock into account. If you are working with sheet goods a Horizontal/Vertical bandsaw is the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by inventor1227 View Post
    I'm looking at purchasing a saw to cut metals for example: Al, Steel, SS, Titanium, Platinum, just to name some.
    The cutting saws I've been looking at are the Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw from Harbor Freight that has a 1hp motor with 3 speeds.
    The material being cut could be as much at 1" thick.

I've also looked at 14" Chop Saws that can also do the job.
    You would want a cold saw not a chop saw if in fact your are working with stock suitable for a cold saw.
    I don't do production. It's all one up stuff.

I know there are industrial Bandsaws and Chop Saws out there, I don't know if I need one though right this minute.

What would be your choice? Any suggestions?

Thanks
    The biggest suggestion is to define your physical needs, that will dictate the size of saw you need. In any event Harbor Frieght has nothing that I'd want to buy from them.

I have the grizzly 4030 and that thing will not cut straight no matter what I do with it. I am looking for a new bandsaw eventually because this one is a PITA. I would not buy anything from harbor freight either. Bought a press from them and the thing was the worst piece of crap ever.

-Keith

HF has some gems and some not so choice items. Both of the metal cutting bandsaws they offer belong in the Gem category.
    I have both and both work very well. With bandsaws, it is all about blade alignment and bearing adjustments as well as blade type and tension. If you have never messed with a bandsaw before, getting one aligned for a novice can be a challenge. You should take that into consideration. A cold saw will have fewer maintenance and alignment needs.
    Lee

+1 to what Leeway said. I have a h/f saw that's now about 20+ years old, and after I set it up correctly and got a quality blade it cuts as square and straight as any of the saws they had at work. In 20 yrs all I've ever did was change the blade when dull.

Even the most expensive saw has to be adjusted when new to get good cuts.

Thanks everyone. I've been looking at cold saws. My size of material varies. I saw this cold saw Sampson Model SC12 Semi-Automatic 12″ Cut-Off Saw.
    Sampson Model SC12 Semi-Automatic 12" Cut-Off SawThe Equipment Hub

The video shows it working. I realize the electrical wiring may need work in the future.

I want to make an offer. How low do you think I can go with this one?

Thanks.