584,802 active members*
5,071 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Deskart anyone??

I have a possible application for Deskart. Has anyone used it for 3D engraving from a photo or scanned in drawing.

I know that it is not very expensive so it would not be a huge gamble to try. But I thought that I would ask.

Any other similar solutions out there?
    ARB
    "That Will Be a dollar for the work and a dollar for knowing how" FB

You should also try Meshcam, it's currently in beta testing and you can download the latest beta for free. Support so far is excellent.

Amen..use mechcam top notch!!!!!!!!! support the guy who wrote it!!!!!, i use it and its the puppy`s.........

best regards,
    micheal j black!
    Fat Birds Dont Fly

I've used deskart with some family photo's just for fun. Only I didn't have any material in the machine at the time , I just wanted to try and see if it would make the machine move without any crashs or surprises. I dnc'ed the program and whalla, ok. Next time I can get an opening on the machine I will try making some dust and chips!

The motor was done with Deskart and the lettering with Deskengrave.

Darek
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC04239.JPG  

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by ARB
    I have a possible application for Deskart. Has anyone used it for 3D engraving from a photo or scanned in drawing.

I know that it is not very expensive so it would not be a huge gamble to try. But I thought that I would ask.

Any other similar solutions out there?
    Yup, ive used it to make 3 d images of photos, however unless the end engraving is quite large you have to get a small bit (less than 1mm) to get decent resolution on a passport sized image. Pretty obvious i know, but you cant seem to specify a smaller overlap per pass, so small bits it is. However you need a high speed chuck for such small bits so for now, ive stopped trying!. :banana:

Quote Originally Posted by micromillnick
    Yup, ive used it to make 3 d images of photos, however unless the end engraving is quite large you have to get a small bit (less than 1mm) to get decent resolution on a passport sized image. Pretty obvious i know, but you cant seem to specify a smaller overlap per pass, so small bits it is. However you need a high speed chuck for such small bits so for now, ive stopped trying!. :banana:
    To get a smaller step over you need to start off with a higher resolution image and then scale it down to the size you want in deskart. Deskart or any other program like it, will set a minimum stepover size based on the pixel distance of the image, so the smaller the pixels, the smaller the stepover you can have. You can choose to go larger in stepover if you want but not smaller than the set pixel size. You can obtain a very smooth image if you start off with an image that is say, 1024 x 768 pixels and then set the image size to your passport size (or smaller) once it is loaded into Deskart.

A great little program is Deskart.
    "A Helicopter Hovers Above The Ground, Kind Of Like A Brick Doesn't"
    Greetings From Down Under
    Dave Drain
    Akela Australia Pty. Ltd.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

deskart

thanks mate, great stuff, i will try that tomorrow! :cheers:
    Nick

Great forum by the way!

If photocarving is what you want to do try imagecarve. It is what I use for my photocarvings. easy simple if I can do it anyone can

image carve?, thanks ill take a look at that.

Nick

just experimenting with deskart, im not sure ive got the hang of scaling things down in deskart, but in any case my problem my well be that my mill is metric so i have coverted all specs to metric in deskart on the create screen, this maybe resulting in an unnecessaryily crude image/step size. I will try leaving things in imperial and running the program (i can switch to imperial mode easily in Turbocnc so that shouldnt be a problem).

Cheers

Nick

Nick,

MM/Inches should not make any difference. All you need to do is load your large image into deskart and in the "image size" text boxes on the right hand side of the screen you will see what the current image size is. Simply change it to the image size you want. Eg: Your image may be 450mm x 450mm and the set pixel step over may default to 1mm. If you change you image size to 225mm x 225mm it will machine it to the given size and your pixel step over will be now settable to 0.5mm. See how you go, if you are still having problems, send me a problem picky and I will see if I can improve your result.

Dave
    "A Helicopter Hovers Above The Ground, Kind Of Like A Brick Doesn't"
    Greetings From Down Under
    Dave Drain
    Akela Australia Pty. Ltd.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Looking for actual DESKart software HELP

Quote Originally Posted by HillBilly View Post
    The motor was done with Deskart and the lettering with Deskengrave.

Darek
    I found the deskCNC but I must be missing something as it did not go into any detail.. Also it showed image of Santa in deskart but cannot actually find the deskart software.. help needed

Question

Quote Originally Posted by meadowlady View Post
    I found the deskCNC but I must be missing something as it did not go into any detail.. Also it showed image of Santa in deskart but cannot actually find the deskart software.. help needed
    Having the same problem. Where is the software. I down load deskengrave but cannot find deskart.

I have the original DeskArt files from "back in the day" and just received a reply to my request from them RE: License, they will license for $50 US via PayPal if you ask (at least that is what they quoted me).