585,922 active members*
3,651 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Baldor Vector Drive Problems
Page 1 of 2 12

Baldor Vector Drive Problems

I have a Fadal VMC 15 built in 1995 with a Baldor vector drive labeled INV 0015. We work with this machine since 2001. In the first year of operation problems while tapping without compensation occured. So we changed to tapping with compensation device to avoid these problems. Last summer suddenly the spindle stops running. After re-booting the system and cooling down, the machine was working well for some minutes. The spindle stutters and than stops slowly. Spindle load was showing all LED s. The Fadal support in Germany gave me the advice to check all fans. And in fact the fan of the housing with the vector drive was out of order. We changed the fan and also the encoder. However, the problem still ocured if the ambient temperature in our work shop was high. So we have opened the door of the housing and installed a supplementary fan directly on the vector drive. This was working for some months but now the spindle stutters even at normal room temperature. A electronic technician checked the baldor drive and supposed that a thermo element is making trouble. But without a wiring diagram he is not able to do anything. Fadal Germany can exchange the complete drive for aprox. 6000$. Now we have removed the keyborad an the cover of the baldor and installed a fan dircetly. I supose the problem will increase and we just have spring time with low ambient temperatures. One more detail: If the problem occures the display of the vector drive is clear showing no figures just the background light. Maybe one of you guys had also such a problem or maybe a wiring diagram of the baldor. Thanks for your help.

I wonder, does your Baldor drive use an external resistor pack to dump the braking energy, or does it use regeneration? I'm just wondering if it might be an advantage to install such a resistor device, and install it outside of the cabinet, to get the heat away from the drive?
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

How can I find out if the resistor pack is inside the Baldor drive or not?
    Tomorow I will put some pics of the drive to this thread.
    Thanks for your help.

Here are some pics of the vector drive. The type is not INV0015 its INV0044. Picture 1 shows the label on the baldor housing. Picture 2 shows the assembly without cover and keyboard but with an extra fan. Picture 3 shows a part of the electronic. When the vector drive is driving crazy we cool the round yellow thermo element in the middle with cold spray an the vector drive restarts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Baldor 3.jpg   Baldor 4.jpg   Baldor 5.jpg  

There is a resistor on the top above the spindle drive, looks like a stove heating element but arranged in long loops, under a cage.

If you contact Baldor they will give you phone tech support, and / or send you wiring diagrams via fax. I bet they can tell you what is wrong over the phone.

the brake resistor is not above in this type of inverter
    they are in the bottom
    any way I think that you need first to load again Fadal parmeter in the Baldor
    themn you have to make autotuning for the Inverter
    UVA have very good technicen his name Zigbert try to talk to him
    he can help you by the phone

Thanks to dango for the recommendation of the tecnician at UVA. I guess you mean UVA Unverzagt in Germany. I will try te get in contact with Zigbert. Regarding the resistor please find attached a pic with a marked area where I supose the resistor. Is this correct?

Kind Regards from Germany
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Baldor 6.jpeg  

no this is not the brake resistor
    look at the wire R1 or R2 connected to the resistor
    sorry the resistor is on top of this electric cabinet and is fuse 5A is under the baldor

If Siegbert can't help you, contact Joseph Margraff at hueller Hille. He is the service coordinator for Fadal in Europe.

Neal

belive me if siegbert can not help him he is in big truble
    he is one of the best in Europe

Dango--
    You are so right. That's also why Joseph is there, in case Siegbert needs help!

Neal

Hey guys, I think I have developed a problem with my Vector Drive also. I have a 1998 VMC2040. The other morning I was getting Error #10 Spindle not turning or Encoder/Magnet error. The spindle would run sometimes and it was also having a problem switching from low to high speed. Once in high it never had a problem switching to low. So we replaced the spindle encoder, hoping for an easy fix. That didn't work. After the machine sat for a couple hours while on, we decided to try it again, then everything seem to work fine, we ran it for the rest of the day. Turned the machine off at the end of the day and now for the last couple of days after it's on for a few minutes it starts and runs fine, the only problem is when it is in the high speed range and you issue a "M05" the spindle doesn't what to stop. You can hear it pulsate and watch the load meter bounce.
    Advanced Motion Controls
    Vector Drive
    10HP/15HT/7500/10,000 RPM
    AMC VE150AD
    Any info would be appreciated. Can this unit be rebuild? I know replacing it ain't going to be cheap.
    Thanks
    Mike

Hy Mike!
    Your problem sounds like my problem mentioned above. We have also replaced the encoder without success and we also hear the spindle pulsate and all lights on the load meter are on. Also I have recognized a relais switching (which is located right beside the vector drive) when the problem occurs. Maybe you should check the fans and open the backdoor for more cooling. That was our solution for the last summer. In my opinion this problem is depending on temperature. But I have now idea whats really wrong. The worst problem is, that Germany is so far away from baldor so its quite difficult to get help on site.

Ferroma,
    Yeah, they sound similar. You actually have a Baldor Vector Drive, my is the Advanced Motion Controls. I just spoke to someone that told me the Advanced Motion Control Vector Drive is very propriatary and no one can work on it. But he told me if I had the Baldor Vector Drive they could repair it. It would still need to be shipped out, no way to repair that unit on site.
    Hey, where are you located in Germany? I spent 2 months in Munich when I worked for Krauss Maffei.
    Thanks
    Mike

Hey Mike,
    no good news for my Baldor. I guess in the worst case I need a new one. Because I guess shipping and repairing takes too much time.
    I have my workshop in south-west of germany near Freiburg 10 km away from the french border at the food hills of the black forrest. Interesting that you have worked for Krauss Maffei. One of my most important customer is also working in the field of military products. Now I stop Working its almost evening and we have a long weekend because of a holiday on monday.

Kind Regards
    Juergen

Baldor

I had inverter go down in my 1992 vcm 20 Baldor said they could no longer get parts. All it was a braking bridge rectorfier. I had whole inverter replaced with generic off shelf type, and guys who did it programed it and put in a couple small things with different color stripes on it, and it has ran well now for a couple months now. They said Baldor did not make that inverter for a Fadal, it was just the one they got to put in it.

Hey guys,
    Had my Inverter replaced, haven't got the bill yet, but I think it's going to be around $5000.00. Fixed the problem, for a week. Now it's down and doing the exact same thing. Now the service guy is wondering if something is wrong with the spindle motor, and it is causing the Inverter to go out. It was expensive before, but I think this is going to take it over the top.

Buy a new power supply from Baldor

Your power supply in the inverter is flaky. Call baldor and ask for a new one it is easy to put in. Plug and play. Cost less than a $1000.00 U.S.

hello ferroma
    i hv some material of baldor drives i will send u later

Ravin

if some of you need repair or parts for Baldor
    try this company
    Practec LLC
    17625 NE 65th St #125
    Redmond WA 98052
    USA
    [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12