585,925 active members*
3,411 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > 5 phase stepper and driver...help

5 phase stepper and driver...help

I have 3 vexta 5 phase motors, PK564AN-TG10, and (3) 5 phase drivers, CSD5814N-T. Looking at the wiring for the driver, it looks like I need 10 wires going into the driver. ie: 2 wites for direction. 1 for direction + and one for direction - Can I use a regular eBay special breakout board (and if so, how do I wire this driver to it) or do I need something special? I read bucket loads of forum posts but still can't seem to wrap my head around what I need between the computer and the drivers?? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
    Thanks

I have set up several Vexta 5 phase. They are just like any other stepper except the wiring between the motor and amp.

1st software
    What you need is to get Mach 3 or LinuxCNC to control the parallel port on a computer. I will just talk Mach 3 as it is an easy way to get going. In Mach 3 you can go in settings and choose what pin the output of the parallel printer port uses to talk to the Vexta. It will have a setting for each axis 's Step and Direction. So on say the Z axis you will choose what pin for step and what pin for direction in Mach 3 settings.

Now on the hardware you will take the step and direction pins on the parallel port of the computer (buy a breakout board if you haven't ) and connect it to the input of the Vexta drive Step and Direction. Each will have a - (negative signal ground) So you will have at minimum 4 wires to each drive, two (+,-) to control Step and two (+,-) to control Direction.

When you make a move in Mach3 to the Z axis the computer will send a pulse stream of STEP signals to the Drive and hold the DIRECTION pin either high or low depending on what direction it needs the motor to spin. If Direction is missing your motor will only go forward when it receives a pulse stream.

Hope this helps.

Hi Dean
    Thank you for taking the time to reply, I have mach3 and I ordered a 5 axis breakout board (I actually have 6 motors and drivers but I'm starting with 3 axis) but got stumped when a very nice woman from Orientalmotor company sent me the wiring diagram and there were too many wire connections into the driver. Because I'm only a week into the realm of CNC, and pretty much everything I've read deals with 2 or 4 phase motors/drivers, I figured I better ask for help so I don't fry something. I thank you again for giving me the hand up. Now if I can just figure out what wire goes where from this power supply.....
    (The electrician from the plant I work at is going to be connecting all the power. No worries)
    -Mike