584,849 active members*
4,227 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Upgrading controller box

Need suggestions on upgrading the controller and maybe servo motors if necessary. Purchased an older Larken 24/24 machine a few weeks ago but any contact with them has not been returned. I understand they have an upgraded controller and software available, but without any contact I refuse to send off my fully functioning controller without any contact. Any suggestion would be helpful.

Thanks
    Al V.

send me an e-mail and I will call Larry, I have one of his system 50, and I live south of Ottawa.

Thanks but because of Larry's lack of response I replaced the stepper motors and electronics. The system is working fine. If you know someone who might be interested in the older Larken stepper motors and electronics I would like to get them out of the shop.

Thanks for the response, I'm not a fan of Larry's, he builds a good machine but his lack of customer response I find to be his worse enemy.

Al V.

Larry is basically a one man show, and his machines are great, and well built.

I would be interested, how much are you asking, also what did you replace the electronics with, mine is running the star cam which is ok, but linux cnc or mach 3 would be better. I am also looking at adding a lathe to my machine to do full 3d objects.

Thanks
    Doug Morency.

DAV II - I also have an older Larken 2424 Camtool

So far - I have replaced the BOB and I run with Mach3. That was a GREAT upgrade - WELL worth the effort.

The steppers are a problem on my machine.

The "Z" axis was so bad I needed to add a counterweight.
    The counter weight looks dumb but it works.
    The machine was virtually useless before I did that.

Now - my "Y" axis looses steps "unannounced" without warning, or reason.
    I have worked around the steppers losing steps and ruining my material and time for a long time.
    I just ordered 380 in-oz steppers from Fine Line Automation.
    I hope this solves my problem.

I find the machine to be a bit finicky, but I think the new steppers will help in that department.
    The mechanical part of the machine is well built.

I am now considering a shop built 48x48 with 4-th axis.
    I will use the 2424 Larken to make parts for it out of Aluminum.
    I know I can cut the Aluminum on the Larken.

Having completely replaced the stepper motors and electronics I have had no issues except working through the different programs. Over the last week I was able to run 3 10 hour days though, without any problems.

I ended up with 3-276 in oz motors and have worked fine. I am running a 3 1/2hp router and had initial concerns with its weight but none have surfaced.

I have some concerns regarding the nylon screw slide nuts though. Being a new operator and during the program and machine setup I did slam the stops more times than I wanted. No problems have surfaced but I suspect I may have some damage that may surface down the road like unannounced step losses.

I have also thought of making an additional machine down the road. Let me know how this works out.

Artic fox,

More than likeliy its dirt in your V axis linear bearings, causing it to jam. I find machines that are older than 5 years that jam probably need new bearings or the bearings cleaned. The part# is TW8UUOP from nippon bearing. ON early 2424 u use to use a 100 in/oz PacSci motor that was a bit on the small size/. Keep in mind, this was before motors were made in china and dirt cheap as they are now. Motors in that day cost $200-400 each.
    Manufacturer of CNC routers and Viper Servo Drives
    www.LarkenCNC.com and www.Viperservo.com

Quote Originally Posted by DAV II View Post
    Need suggestions on upgrading the controller and maybe servo motors if necessary. Purchased an older Larken 24/24 machine a few weeks ago but any contact with them has not been returned. I understand they have an upgraded controller and software available, but without any contact I refuse to send off my fully functioning controller without any contact. Any suggestion would be helpful.

Thanks
    Al V.
    I try to answer all my emails every day , who did you send the email to ?. My email is on my website, [email protected]
    I only look at this forum from time to time, so emailing me direct is the way to go.

There are a lot of older Larkens out there being sold and some need controller upgrades. I recommend people who buy an older DOS Lcam machine , and want to do it really cheap just to get a BOB and convert it to Mach3 since there is a lot of support out there.

Re: Upgrading controller box

Quote Originally Posted by DAV II
    Thanks but because of Larry's lack of response I replaced the stepper motors and electronics. The system is working fine. If you know someone who might be interested in the older Larken stepper motors and electronics I would like to get them out of the shop.
    Thanks for the response, I'm not a fan of Larry's, he builds a good machine but his lack of customer response I find to be his worse enemy.
    You sound like a pleasure to do business with... maybe im glad i missed your call .

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasMorency View Post
    Larry is basically a one man show, and his machines are great, and well built.
    I would be interested, how much are you asking, also what did you replace the electronics with, mine is running the star cam which is ok, but linux cnc or mach 3 would be better. I am also looking at adding a lathe to my machine to do full 3d objects.
    Thanks
    Doug Morency.
    Hey Doug thanks for the help, but you know I'm maybe a one man show when it comes to tech support these days, but not when it comes to production. I have about 4 people to build my machines and controllers. Also people to assemble my servo drives.

Last time you were at my shop, you were talking about adding a 4th axis. If you want this summer i could upgrade your controller to USB starcam and add the 4th axis. I still want to see that Miata .... maybe make a trade. I'm doing a rear engine MX6 this summer, i',m going to call it my Mazda-rati

Larry K