585,727 active members*
4,040 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: The basics

Post The basics

For those that are new to CNC and don't really understand all the terms and what it takes to bring an idea from thaught to making the machine do it's thing.

Not too long ago I fell into that catagory and still do to a certain point (I think I have it figured out)

So let me give it a go...

Cad is the design software that is used to create the part.
    Cam is the program that is used to create the machine code (Gcode).
    Then you have the controller program that reads the Gcode and makes the machine run.

On things like cutting a picture into a part you can skip the Cad and import it direct into the Cam (if the cam supports this).

Quote Originally Posted by Netjams
    Then you have the controller program that reads the Gcode and makes the machine run.

On things like cutting a picture into a part you can skip the Cad and import it direct into the Cam (if the cam supports this).
    True

Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAM) is the function where a facility has all or most of it's machining functions run under centralized computer control.

A File Converter Program is NORMALLY used to convert CAD drawings to g-code. There are many file formats available for output from a CAD program. The standard output format is DXF (known as drawing exchange format) Such a program to convert this output is called DXF to G-Code converter

A free copy is available on this site under the download forum.

Can be called the Interpeter; Or, some call it the controller program

Jerry

I guess I didn't have it all figured out

Thanks for clearing that up for me.