584,850 active members*
4,465 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Second parallel port?

Hi i need 2 parallel ports for EMC. But hier is the problem, the second parallel card that i buy and put it in comp. Comp. does not to recognize it. How to set second parallel card to adress 278? I need it for lube and mist!

So, what i need is that my comp. recognize second parallel port. And then i need to put it on adress 0x278!

Help, pleas

Matej
    tnx, Matej

No, first you need to put it's adres at 0x278, to be recognised by the computer as LPT2. Otherwise you have 2 LPT1 ports. On your card there should be a jumper where you can choose between LPT1 and LPT2. Out of the box it will be configured as LPT1.

Carel

jumper? where on my motherboard? the second Parallel port is on PCI slot!
    And where must i put adres 0x278?
    tnx, Matej

No, not on your motherboard. The PCI card has an address and is recognised by the Bios at startup. This address must be unique and be in this case 0x278. An LPT1 has the address of 0x378. So to make the card unique an address line (8) must be changed from 1 to 0. Normally this is done with a jumper on the card. Otherwise you should contact your supplier or RTFM.

Carel

Oh, i undestand now, i tray this. TNX
    Whats line (8) ?

On PCI parallel card is NO jumper !
    tnx, Matej

The address isn't necessarily 0x278. You have to go into your device manager to find out what address your computer gave it. I had this problem with mine, it actually gave it some kind of letter combination.
    If you try to make everything idiot proof, someone will just breed a better idiot!

What install of EMC are you using? If it is a BDI installation then when you get xwindows running go to system-info from the menu at bottom left, if your PCI p port cards are detected they will be assigned hexadecimal addresses,
    LPT1 ; paraport0
    LPT2 : paraport1
    and so on, I have two PCI pport cards in my system so the CNC can run off of the two add in cards and not the built in parallel port.

Once you have the addresses for you card, edit the ini file for your EMC installation and tell it where the ports are.

I use BDI 4.38 KDE

parport0 on adress 0x378-0x37f
    My computer recognise parport1 on adress c000-c002

But i need 0x378 and 0x278, or not?
    tnx, Matej

No, you configure the EMC ini file to match your parallel port addresses, I'll try and get a copy of my ini file to you, it will give you some ideas how to config some options for your own system.

Here's the ini file from my system.

Do not use it on your hardware without understanding what you need to change first as damage may ensue.
    Attached Files Attached Files

OK, tnx i will look at the options!
    tnx, Matej

TNX, now works
    tnx, Matej