585,712 active members*
4,007 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Macro for a probe signal

I am trying to write an alarm program for a probe. I want the machine to go into alarm if the signal for the probe is already on before it touches the part. Does anyone know how to setup a macro for an on and off signal?

mcash3000 I am pretty sure a macro will be controller specific. What control are you using?

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Too many unknown variables to give an accurate answer. Control make & model would be nice for starters. How is the probe connected? Skip signal only or error signal too? On most controls (Fanuc, at least) if you try to execute a G31 skip move and the probe is already deflected (which is what I assume you mean when you say "if the signal for the probe is already on before it touches the part") the machine won't move. At that point in the probe routine you can place a test to check if the start point is the same as the end point (provided you saved the start point before the move was executed).
    Paul Sevin - Ovation Engineering, Inc.
    http://www.ovationengineering.com

it is a fanuc 18i. I did what psevin suggested with the G31 code, checked the start and end point and it worked. Thanks for the suggestion.