585,981 active members*
4,236 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

edgecam users

are there many edgecam users out there?
    someone told me they were the 3rd largest in world now.

i've been using it for about 4 years now and i really like it.

i haven't ran into anything i couldn't figure out yet.

i do alot of 3-d and prototype work off of customer files and the only thing i wish it did better(more types) is open files from different softwares.

it has a nice list but i want it all.

timf,
    tell us more about EdgeCAM, do you have the part modeller as well?

Klox
    *** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

no i don't have the part modeler, but the only design i do is for myself (fixtures and such)and i have become handy with regular edgecam enough that it does the job fine.
    sometimes i redraw the part i'm making in 3-d just to get a good feel for it before i start processing it.

the one thing that i found was alot easier compared to the old smartcam i used is 3-d machining.
    edgecam has some cool cycles for toolpath when doing 3-d contours.

the classes i took from the reseller were:
    basic mill, basic lathe, basic wire, advanced lathe,surfacing, advanced surfacing, code generator.

i mostly use the milling packages the most and only dabble in lathe and wire, i have guys in charge of those deptartments that take care of it themselves, i only took the classes as back up for them.

i didn't have a hard time switching over from smartcam which is what i used before edgecam.

is there anything you had in mind about edgecam that you would like to know.

I am an edgecam guy myself. 3yrs and counting.

I use it for lathe, mill, and edm although all relatively simple.

I have found the software to be very easy to use. It isn't a drawing program though. I use inventor for that.

Question

Hi, I just got a demo of edgecam yesterday, and I was impressed by the lathe module, supporting very complex machines. But the mill demo was about 5 minutes... So I have a few questions.

I only use solid models, not interested to go back to 2D. How's the capabilities of solid machining? Do you keep having to draw geometry and boundaries and other stuff? Does the software know what's machined and what's not (aware of volumes between stock and part machined so far)? How does it deal with multiple instances of 1 part on a tombstone? How about workshift definition, can you assign workshift to each part and choose the name of it too?

Those would help me decide... I tried CamWorks and liked it too. It's not perfect though. Didn't like GibbsCam at all. I'm using SmartCam right now and sick of it.

Any comments on EdgeCam is appreciated, thanks a lot!

Sabre Guest
    We have the whole package, I am due for a training class in a couple of weeks.

So far Part Modeler is ok but no Solidworks.

How do you draw threads in PM ?

In case you were asking me, I got no clue. I use SolidWorks. But your comments on the CAM side would be appreciated!

dirt rider

i feel like it will do all the things you asked, but i don't do them myself to explain them to you.

contact a reseller in your area and take him some file to show you what it can do.
    depending on what package you purchase, it do a good job with solids.

i don't work with alot of solids myself but i do get them from customers sometimes and i don't have trouble with them.

it does have tools for extracting wire from the solids you have for paths, boundries, or reference.
    it also has some auto feature finder tools that identify the features of your solid.

i also was a smartcam user before we got edgecam and i didn't find the transition to rough.
    so far it has a function for everything i was used to in smartcam, it is just layed out different.
    i have not used multiple offsets in edgecam but i'm sure it is possible.
    it does have features for translating toolpath at defined spacing like a program loop.
    you can import your own shape for definition of stock or fixtures or create simple ones in edgecam for the program verification.

like i said the fellows that sold us ours were very good at showing off the capabilities of the software so get with your reseller and tell him want you want to see.
    watching someone use the software to do what you ask is much more impressive than any prerecorded demo.

hope i got to all your questions
    tim

We use edgecam for wire mostly 2d but trying to learn the 4axis wire. The reseller dosent know the wire side of it. So have had to try to learn myself. We would like to get mill package but looking at mastercam. I took a edgecam class at a local college for mill and lathe but the instructer was learning it as he was teaching it. Wish it wasnt so expensive.

Solids and 4 axis

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dirt Rider

I only use solid models, not interested to go back to 2D. How's the capabilities of solid machining? Do you keep having to draw geometry and boundaries and other stuff? Does the software know what's machined and what's not (aware of volumes between stock and part machined so far)? How does it deal with multiple instances of 1 part on a tombstone? How about workshift definition, can you assign workshift to each part and choose the name of it too?

Must be nice to only program from solids...
    I wish I could ansewer your questions about knowledge of stock remaining. Imo, if your models are complex, then Edgecam is not as good as other mid level PC based Cam packages. One exception would be if you do multi-axis turning, then Edgecam is very good.

For me the mold machining tool paths are not up to what I expect. Functional but not good enough. HSM routines are not even good.

I also don't use their tool libraries or stategy manager as I have created my own custom automation stuff kinda like visual basic...

Good luck,
    Scott_bob

Hi, I'm interested in edgecam and I've looked all over the internet and I can't find out how much it costs. How much was it (if you don't mind) Oh, can you select features on a part and only machine the ones selected? Thanks

Pricing all depends on options, etc.

Isn't a cheap program though.

Been a few years since we bought it but expect ~10k for minimum package.

Tim,
    I have been learning Edgecam from the demo as I have time. Overall I like Edgecam better then any CAM package I've looked at. I plan on going to Edgecam as soon as I can (currently using Gibbs, but not happy with it). We just got Inventor and am getting used to that right now.

I guess we are competitors, I work at JBK Mfg., in Beavercreek.
    Bill

EDGECAM WORKS GREAT---- ITS ALOT MORE ORGANIZED AND TO THE POINT THAN MASTER OR SURF
    MEANING IT DOSENT HIDE ALL OF YOUR COMMANDS FROM YOU AND ITS EASIER TO FIGURE OUT BY YOUR SELF (FOR ALL OF US CONVENTIONAL GUYS)
    DONT MIND MY SPELLING ... IM JUST A MASHINIST

i had the same feelings when i started with it.
    the more you get used to it the easier everything gets.
    i made all my own toolbars and found all kinds of options to try in the begining.

i did just get an email that said edgecam is on sale for just under $8000 till june 15th

wjbzone: it's good to see someone local but if we are competitors maybe edgecam isn't right for you guys. lol

Originally posted by timf
    no i don't have the part modeler, but the only design i do is for myself (fixtures and such)and i have become handy with regular edgecam enough that it does the job fine.
    sometimes i redraw the part i'm making in 3-d just to get a good feel for it before i start processing it.

the one thing that i found was alot easier compared to the old smartcam i used is 3-d machining.
    edgecam has some cool cycles for toolpath when doing 3-d contours.

the classes i took from the reseller were:
    basic mill, basic lathe, basic wire, advanced lathe,surfacing, advanced surfacing, code generator.

i mostly use the milling packages the most and only dabble in lathe and wire, i have guys in charge of those deptartments that take care of it themselves, i only took the classes as back up for them.

i didn't have a hard time switching over from smartcam which is what i used before edgecam.

is there anything you had in mind about edgecam that you would like to know.
    How much production machining do you do and is optimized toolpath very important to you ?

I have been spending a great deal of time lately learning SmartCAM... something I have always wanted to do. I have never seen a better laid out CAD/CAM program when it comes to toolpath editing than SmartCAM. It's very easy to change whatever / whenever without being forced to jump through hoops. In my opinion, everyone else's style of toolpath editing is very modal, with most CAD/CAM systems making it downright painful to make any kind of major change after the toolpath has been created. In most CAD/CAM systems it's far better to delete the toolpath you don't want and start all over again. As you well know from using SmartCAM, the toolpath really is the geometry. Because you have access to every element (geometry / toolpath) in SmartCAM, it's unbelievably easy to group the elements any way you want and move them around wherever and however you so desire.

I know EdgeCAM blows a program like SmartCAM away when it comes to 3 axis toolpath surfacing, after all it's been many years since SmartCAM saw any development, but how would you compare EdgeCAM's approach to toolpath editing vs. SmartCAM.

jon

my production usually doesn't exceed 150-200 at a time. we are mostly a prototype and short run shop.
    I use the optimized most of the time just to keep stuff clean, some cycles more than others.

i have no complaints about edgecam as far as modifying toolpath but this depends on how extensive the change is.
    if you are just adjusting something that doesn't add or delete any elements from the original shape the toolpath changes with it automatically when you regenerate.

it is real easy to create any toolpath anywhere you want so sometimes it is still easier to start new.
    i feel like even the simple stuff got easier than smartcam after the learning curve.

Hey I also use Edgecam only the Cam part. Use Pro Engineer as CAD. I should really had a post for emcotronic. Anyone know about places to download posts. I have made a fagor post myself and it was not that hard. But I have no documetation on the Emcotronic so it would be a lot of testing.

hi all, am new here and hoping to find words of help, I have got a couple of yang lathes with Fanuc OT controls that use 2 line canned cycles, I have managed to get most of the post done in edgecam but the canned cycle has me beat, has anyone got an answer on how its done.

Hi all, I am new here but it looks like it is the place to be.
    I have been using Edgecam for 8 Years. here are some comments on previous messages that I have read.

Edgecam can handle any file format you throw at it, although you may have to pay extra for some translators (Usually solid models) I use Inventor as well and it not only loads the models but it loads the assembly files as well wich is great for thombstones as you can design it in Inverntor and then load the whole thing.

Machining solid models is so easy as the feature finder finds all of the holes, pockets and bosses. It can even automatically make caps over the holes so that you don't machine into them.

For different Work Offsets simply name your CPL's G54.1 G54.2 and so on and then create your post so that it outputs the correct one after a toolchange, datum shift or Index.

My top 3 tips for beginners (and those who just forgot)

1. To centre a part in the screen and zoom extents. Just double click the mouse wheel.
    2. To change the view rotation axis of a part. Hold Ctrl and right click where you want to rotate.
    3. When doing thombstone work create a tracker view from the view properties menu.

Page 1 of 2 12