585,954 active members*
4,261 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > ball screw stuff questions

ball screw stuff questions

I have replaced the x and y bearing blocks on a fadal 4020a. While inspecting the blocks it looks as though you could replace the seals and they both would be fine. Does anyone know who carries these seals and bearings. Also while pulling the block on the y axis we messed up the plastic (I want to call it a seal but it doesn't seal anything) bushing with the end of the screw. Its the bushing that the way oil runs into. Where does a guy find one of those? The bushing happens to be threaded like the screw. I could make a new one myself if I can't locate a replacement but all I can seem to find out about the screw is its a 40mm. Does anyone happen to know the thread of the screw? Thank you very much for any input on these questions.

A bearing mount repair kit is available from www.kmac-parts.com.(or call 248-852-8572) It will come with a matched set of bearings,a spacer for inbetween the bearings and the seals. Be sure to know if you have metric and inch ball screws. I'm not sure what bushing you are talking about, need more info on that one.

Thanks Andy. The bearing block is the one that the chiller runs into at the motor end of the screw. The plastic bushing I was referring to come to find out is called a sweep which is located on both ends of the ball nut. I found out that the ball screw is a 20th century ball screw but I haven't had any luck in talking to anyone who could tell me what the pitch, lead, or if it is right hand or left hand thread or where I could buy one. It looks to me to be a right hand thread but what I really need is a source that has sweeps for this ball screw so I don't have to try and make one. Any ideas?
    Mike

Because you have chiller lines to the bearing mount and dowfrost flowing through the ballscrew, make sure the ballscrew end where the seals ride are not grooved badly, or dowfrost from the chiller will leak out or inside to the bearings. You can either bypass the chiller lines(disconnect the lines and use a union) or you may have to repair/replace ballscrew. About the sweep on the ballnut, try to contact a ballscrew repair shop for suggestions, e.g. Lead Screws International, Inc. (www.lsitvc.com) (231)947-4124 or 1-800-678-0726