As the title says, has anyone been successful in running version 6.00_5.78 software on an EZ-Trak SX machine?

I am new to my company and new to the machining world. But not new to hardware, PCs, and machine interfacing.

This company has a Bridgeport EZ-Trak SX mill and the DRO system has been inoperative for a number of years. Being the new guy I am seeing if I can get it working.

I have all the computing hardware booting up now, but have yet to get the EZ-Trak software to launch. The machine is equipped with 640K base memory and 3072 extended (not sure if that is typical). 80386SX processor. American Megatrends Bios date of 07/07/91.

If I understand the machine's history, it was purchased used. The software was working and then became corrupted somehow. The boss purchased software at a later date which is what I am trying to work with.

I have on hand EZ-Trak 6.00_5.78. A quick peak at the Autoexec.bat file shows this is intended to work on multiple different machines. It does provide for the option of "3 axis, Display on swing arm, floppy in back" which is our machine. The batch file is definitely set up to "install" things onto a hard drive and the machine will not run from the disk.

So I have been editing and adjusting for use on a Ramdrive. Currently I have a boot disk that launches DOS, creates the Ramdrive, copies & Unzips files to the ramdrive, and then tries to launch the software.

Prior to the software launch I get a "BMDC Ready" line. When the software launches a header displays:

Extended - DOS Powered by
Phar Lap's 286|DOS-Extender(tm) Version 3.1
Copyright 1993 Phar Lap Software Inc.
Available mem = 833KB

Next displays the failure message:

Fatal Error 286.2230: Load Program Failed -- Out of Memory.

I have been adjusting the ramdrive size to see if I can make this go away but no joy yet. I have found that if I make it any smaller than 2700KB the drive does not have the necessary room for the files to be copied.

So is this memory issue related to my ramdrive settings or is the version 6 software to big to run on an SX machine?

I have seen in older posts that George recommends nothing later than version 3.02 for this machine. I thought I could find this for download somewhere on the net, but not yet. If anyone has an available copy we should talk. If anyone can post their SX batch files it would be appreciated. If you need additional information regarding the machine let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Daen