584,871 active members*
5,191 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

laser beam splitting

i have a 60 watt Chinese laser engraver and the beam is splitting could this be the power supply breaking down ? and how do you check the power supply for faults? have attached the laser beam fired results on pine board
    Attachment 201992

any help would be appreciated . we have just installed a new laser tube because the old one was doing this also and we thought it was the tube but the new one is doing the same thing. thank you for any advise

have you checked the lens?

Check all the mirrors and lens may be any of them is broken.

we have replaced all mirrors and lens

To test the laser and optics, you can try the following steps:

1. Take a scrap piece of wood and burn into the wood at the location closest to the laser. Try to do it prior to the first mirror. DO NOT let smoke drift onto the the laser optic. The laser optic is particularly sensitive.

2. If there is no problem with the burn (makes a nice round or elliptical shape burn) approximately 6 mm in diameter, then do the following:
    2a. Position the scrap wood after the first mirror. Do another burn. Try not to let the smoke on to the mirror, but if it does get on you can clean it.
    2b. Repeat for each mirror.
    2c. After the mirror, test after the focus lens

To check the power supply for faults, see How to test and set a Chinese (China) made CO2 Laser Power Supply to get long life from your CO2 Laser Tube for your Laser Engraving and Laser Cutting Machine System

Have you checked that the lens is in the correct way (curve up)?

Also have you calibrated (centred all of the mirrors? When the mirrors are replaced they may be out of alignment.

Seems the focused laser beam hitting the edge of the nozzle hole.

-ichan

thank you for this very helpful information will certainly try this out. will let you know what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Ch_Irawan View Post
    Seems the focused laser beam hitting the edge of the nozzle hole.

-ichan
    I agree. The beam is being clipped by the nozzle. The narrow path is the part of the beam that is exiting the nozzle directly,the wide path is the reflected part of the beam which is no longer focused. remove your nozzle and test where the beam is in relation to the nozzle. I'd be surprised if the beam was not low and left, in relation to your picture.

i will check this out thank you

Any news?

i will check it out tomorrow

Hi ,
    Like people here talked ,it is optics problem ,focus on nozzle and focus lens . It will be ok after some fine adjustment .

Best wishes ,
    Mary

we will readjust all mirrors and lens tomorrow and will let you know the results thank you for all of your help

Re: laser beam splitting

Hello. I have this problem today - 2017/4/3 - Has anyone ever been able to resolve this split beam problem?

several things can cause this I would check you lens to make sure its not broke or cracked, I would check that the beam is not hitting the nose cone , I would check all the mirrors and machine alignment

Thank you for the fast response. Good news! It took some trial and error, but eventually I managed to combine the beams, and the splitting is fixed. There is only one beam now, but the beam is weak and can no longer cut through the 1/4-inch wood like it used to. Any thoughts on why the beam gets weak, tube low on gas, something else?

what was the fix for the split beam?? How old is the tube? what wattage is it and what are you cutting ????

Quote Originally Posted by UNITYMADE View Post
    Thank you for the fast response. Good news! It took some trial and error, but eventually I managed to combine the beams, and the splitting is fixed. There is only one beam now, but the beam is weak and can no longer cut through the 1/4-inch wood like it used to. Any thoughts on why the beam gets weak, tube low on gas, something else?

Hello! This is a Chinese laser cutter aka eBay Laser Cutter that I purchased in 2015. The tube has less than 1000 hours, and is predicted to last for 4000 hours.

>> I fixed the split beam through trial and error by adjusting the thumb screws on the mirrors. It turned out it was the first mirror closest to the tube that needed adjusted to fix the split beam. <<

Without getting into a long, long story, this beam has been acting weak for awhile. I tried a replacement tube, and I think the replacement tube was defective, because it threw an arc out of the back of the tube and into the motor, very dangerous. I still have the "defective" tube here in my shop. I replaced the original tube, and now I am trying to see what I can do to possibly get it cutting stronger through focusing, but I have my doubts.

ebay lasers are notorious for claiming a certain wattage. what wattage is your tube>? most ebay lasers have an over drivin tube were they turn up the PS to make a 40 watt tube 50 watts or more. this shortens the tube life considerably . Also if your water temp is not regulated to around 55 to 65 f it will shorten tube life. How do you cool your tube?

Page 1 of 2 12