585,581 active members*
3,828 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Oliver intellicarve 1013 spindle problem

Oliver intellicarve 1013 spindle problem

I have a problem with the spindle of my Oliver intellicarve machine. It is 11 months old and was bought used with a known spindle problem. My issue is the best way to remedy the problem. I'm brand new to CNC, but have a back ground in woodworking and machine rebuilding.

The spindle is press fitted onto the spindle motor and then the spinde slip fitted though a bearing to minimize lateral forces. Well, the spindle slipped down the spindle motor shaft and was galled by the bearing. I talked to Oliver and they recognized the issue and said the "new" one (mine is 11 months old) has a set screw to hold the spindle on and suggested I take it to a machine shop to pin or do it myself. Even then the spindle is galled. A new 150watt brushless motor with spindle is $240. Waiting to hear if they will sell me just the spindle.

I proposed an exchange of the defective spindle motor/spindle for a new one. Two emails with pictures, serial numbers, and request have gone unanswered. I can start to understand I bought the machine used, but I would argue that the machine is not even a year old and fundamentally, the design was flawed, original owner or not.

Am I being unreasonable? I can see the merits of a nonproprietary machine system.
    John

I would have thought they would have offered some kind of recompense or partial cost in light if what seems like a design flaw?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

A big Thanks to Oliver for resolving the issue. I eventually connected with the service rep and received a replacement spindle motor at a reduced cost. I once asked a CNC owner how reliable his machine was and he response was that it was guaranteed to break! I can accept that answer, as long as there is some support behind the product. Thanks to CNCZone too.