586,024 active members*
4,245 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Hobbycnc (Products) > How to control the speed of the main spindle?

Question How to control the speed of the main spindle?

Hi every expert:

I am thinking about choosing HobbyCNC board for my first CNC converting project. Seems like this board is perfect for all 4 axis control, but how to control the speed of the main spindle motor (cutting tool motor)? or just simply switch on the motor and let it run at high speed during the whole working process? (in this way, just simply power on the main spindle motor and power off after the job finished?)

George,
    Based on my experience, you cannot control the speed of the spindle with a hobbyCNC board. There are many on the market that do have that capability however.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by tq9516pjm
    George,
    Based on my experience, you cannot control the speed of the spindle with a hobbyCNC board. There are many on the market that do have that capability however.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by george128306
    Hi every expert:

I am thinking about choosing HobbyCNC board for my first CNC converting project. Seems like this board is perfect for all 4 axis control, but how to control the speed of the main spindle motor (cutting tool motor)? or just simply switch on the motor and let it run at high speed during the whole working process? (in this way, just simply power on the main spindle motor and power off after the job finished?)
    Our driver board provides a convenient method to access the parallel port for such functions. It is IMPOSSIBLE to provide a spindle speed control "on board" that will satisfy all possible uses.

We are unaware of any driver board in or near our price range that actually controls the spindle speed "on board." A simple relay can be used to turn on and off a spindle via an unused pad to the parallel port as provided on the PCB.

HobbyCNC.com

Put a stepper on the 4th axis that connects to the "knob" on your speed controller. TurboCNC supports this style of speed controlling, as does Mach.

The "DigiSpeed" is the electronic equivalent of the same, a virtual stepper driving a digital potentiometer.

On/off is usually done with a relay, which you can slap together for about $10 in parts.

http://www.dakeng.com/relay.html

Thank you all very much for the opinion, now I have got a direction to think about, appreciated to every experts here!