584,849 active members*
3,940 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Stamps

Stamps

Been thinking about making big versions of some of my favorite stamps. (yes I'm a nerd) Here are two tests I did.

You can see more tests over at vectric's site: http://vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=232
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails abel_clean.jpg   archimede.jpg  
    Take it easy.
    Jay (www.cncjay.com)

Figured it was time to try and cut one of the stamps. Came out shockingly well. Mesures about 10inches by 8inches and took about 4 1/2 hours to cut.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0415.JPG  
    Take it easy.
    Jay (www.cncjay.com)

The stamp came out great, very detailed.

Quote Originally Posted by dighsx
    Been thinking about making big versions of some of my favorite stamps. (yes I'm a nerd)

There's nothiong Nerdlike about stamps, though nerds often do collect them. Some stamps are truly beautiful

cool, can you tell us more about it? the first pics are computer renderings? how'd you cut the second, looks like wood burning - is this a laser you are using?

Nice work Jay!

Carving these designs into quality wood will make fantastic memorabilia pieces that I'm sure collectors will treasure as much as the real thing. And these so called 'nerds' often have more money than they know what to do with - business opportunity maybe?

How did you create the vector outlines for machining?

Tony

Thanks guys for making me not feel to ashamed for collecting stamps.

Mcgyver, Yep the first pics I generated in Vcarve from a image I converted to a vector drawing. I used a 60 degree .5 inch vbit with some scrap plywood that I had sanded and waxed, and then cut the stamp and rubbed stain on it. The wax helps keep the uncut wood from getting to dark and is quicker then waiting for sealer to dry before you can cut and stain.

Tony, I'm attaching the original scanned stamp that I started with. I took this image into a program called Inkscape, which I used to convert it to an eps file. Then basically all I did was load it into Vcarve, pick my bit and say calculate. It's pretty easy once you find an image that coverts to vectors well.

Thanks again guys, and I'm sure you'll be seeing more soon. My wife saw this one and told me to make some more to hang up around the house.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails arch2.jpg  
    Take it easy.
    Jay (www.cncjay.com)

Great Job Jay.

Jay, just wish I could find more time with my bot and Vcarve. Maybe we'll have to find something to start another Fad with??? :cheers:

Don

Well finally got some time to cut some of these stamps. They're coming out pretty good. Over all size for them is 12x9inches on 1/2inch plywood. Finished the wood before I cut them so I could get good contrast.

Few more to go, I'll post them up as I get them done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0586.JPG  
    Take it easy.
    Jay (www.cncjay.com)