585,982 active members*
4,722 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

5 axis A B interpolation

In school right now and just started in on G/M code. I understand that the little man in the box performs a series of linear interpolation's on a G01 at his best resolution when given a new point, but what does he do when you drop in A and B?
    IE
    N10 G01 X10.0 A90;

I would assume that the center of the end of the cutter would travel in a straight line from the starting point to the new point (in relation to the parts frame of reference) but how is the tool vector calculated? will it rapid over to the new angle or will the angle be divided by the number of points along the line and gradually adjust it's angle as it approaches the new point?

If I wrote a program in C or something that could calculate the point/normal vector data of an object and dump a tool path to a file can most machines handle being fed 10's of thousands of points that are only one ten thou away from each other? (could easily be millions) I know even my phone is fast enough these days to perform a task like that in a second or two but what about an old takiseki or a new haas? my instructor said they could but I think my instructor was thinking of internal memory capacity.

can any machines work under another type of data interface (for drip feeding)? I have messed around with serial connections before and I do not trust them, they do not verify receipt of packets and that makes me weary of trying to drip feed a CNC with a PC. (would be nice if they could even take a binary version of G/M code)

I know I'm looking to far ahead here and I should be focusing on the basics first but I just want to know what the limits of CNC are.

The machine would provide a smooth motion in X and A at the same time by - like you said - dividing the motion into a bunch of intermediate points in both axis'. The motion hardware only moves as fast as the processor feeds information to it. No need to calculate and save all those points. It just completes as much of the calculation that it needs to on-the-fly and sends it out as it calculates it and as fast as the hardware is able to complete the moves. The software knows the maximum speed at which it can feed the hardware without problems and limits itself to that speed.
    Most of the time the processor would be sitting around waiting for the hardware to be finished.

Make sense?

Sage

Quote Originally Posted by chipsnpan View Post
    what does he do when you drop in A and B?
    IE
    N10 G01 X10.0 A90;
    Hi chipsnpan:
    As long as your machine is capable to interpolate at least 2 axis ( X & A ), that Little man in the box ( as you said) is Smart enough to perform all calculus to create the correct toolpath.
    The LITTLE man will calculate the length of the path which equals the hypotenuse of a triangle that has 10.0 on one side and the result of your part OD times Pi (3.14..) as 2nd side.
    Also it's very important to input ( via parameters or settings, depending on the machine) the OD of your part to achieve the right programmed feed.
    It’s all built into the control unit.

Quote Originally Posted by chipsnpan View Post
    can any machines work under another type of data interface (for drip feeding)? I have messed around with serial connections before and I do not trust them, they do not verify receipt of packets and that makes me weary of trying to drip feed a CNC with a PC. (would be nice if they could even take a binary version of G/M code) .
    Most machines are able to run under drip feeding, and when you have good shield grounded cables ( most critical part ), you wont have any troubles with it.
    Regards, Mario

You are correct to assume most 5 axis machines move point/vector to point/vector - one line at a time. Assuming the tool tip describes the programmed path is not correct. Some CAM system allow the programmer to tell the CAM system to output the programmed path at some arbitrary point along the tool axis ie .5 inches up the tool from the tool tip.
    Some controls will allow the programmer/operator to program very 5 axis complex motion with one line of code.
    You must match the CAM post processor to the machine control.
    Serial drip feeding will probably work for most controls and machines. If the machine is fast enough serial drip feeding is inadequate the control is probably new enough to have memory to hold the program. Notice is said 'probably'.