585,996 active members*
3,850 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Small radius good Large radius bad

Small radius good Large radius bad

Hi everybody.

I have a 3016 HT -97 with 32MP controller and I have run in to a little problem.

I am trying to run 6082-T6 aluminium at 450mm/min with a 6mm 3-flute carbide aluminium end mill running at 7500 or 9500 rpm.

When I make small circular ( 6.5 - 15mm ) interpolations the surface is very good you barely could see the tool marks, but when the diameters get bigger the surface finish get worse and almost look faceted.
    I have tried to speed up the feed and then lowering the feed, taking small finish cuts with depth of cut 0.2mm or large 1mm, I have even tried to do the operation with a larger tool 12mm and 50mm but it stays the same.

The dimensions of the milled parts is very good and even , +- 0.01mm to +-0.02mm and the work-holding is very solid and rigid and there is no or very little vibration noises when running and the cutting fluid is plentiful.

I am very thankful for all help.

Best Regards.
    Fredrik

Does your machine take G code? Is it using a bunch of straight (G1) moves or is it using G2 and G3 for the radii? It may be that the toolpath actually contains the facets and on small radii you cannot see it because each facet is so small.

That's the first thing to check.

Hi.
    Thank's for the reply.
    The cam-program puts out a G2 or G3 depending on the direction so it should be correct.
    I have gone through some manuals today and there is a Gain setting in the SV menu ( M 90 ) I will try to see what the settings are for the standard and also see if I get any different and better result when using M91 if the default setting is way to high.
    //
    Fredrik