585,760 active members*
3,723 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Looking for a non-trunion 5 axis vertical. Pros/cons of trunion?

Looking for a non-trunion 5 axis vertical. Pros/cons of trunion?

I am in the market for a 5 axis vertical mill. It will be used for one off tooling and it seems the majority of machines are trunions in this small/medium platform. It seems like a trunion would be inefficient and cumbersome when dealing with thick aluminum billets, and off tooling, and it would eliminate the ability to have excess space on the other end of the machine table for squeezing in other jobs without interrupting what's on the rotary, etc. I've seen a couple of machines that have a more conventional table but a section of the table has a rotary table that is level with the rest of the table including t-slots in the rotary that line up with the rest of the table. This seems like a very versatile design that would give me different options of how the machine would be used. So far the only machines I've found with this configuration are a Hurco VMX42SRTi and a Mori Seiki DMF series machines (DMF180 for example). Are there any other machines with this type of configuration? It appears that there are no smaller conventional vertical mills available that have a dual rotating head that goes to 90 deg or beyond? (Example: Jobs, Breton). Am I correct on this? I want opinions on pros/cons of trunion vs. the incorporated rotary table like I mention in the Mori and Hurco. Also Opinions on Hurco machines in general. I've run Mori's and love them although they are really pricey, I've never been around a Hurco. Also, anyone know of a smaller platform machine that have a dual rotary head that tilts to 90 deg like a Jobs or Breton? When I say small platform I'm talking travels of say 2' minimum in XYZ, preferably a little bigger.
    Thanks, Mike.

I wouldn't go with that NON-Mori. Piece of, well, you know. Thats a DMG machine, not a Mori at all. If you go Mori, then
    NMV Series | 5 Axis CNC Machine | DMG MORI SEIKI
    Its not a trunnion table, and can even be had with the turning option. It's not a rotating head either though.

As far as Hurcos go, all i'll say is we have more problems with those than any other single machine we have.

Oh wow, I don't know why I assumed this was a Mori Seiki. What is a DMG? I've never heard of it, and what's the deal with that name next to the Mori Seiki name on their website?
    Thanks, Mike.

It's a joint distributorship. DMG handles Mori in Europe, and Mori handles DMG in the US. Been like that for a couple years. DMG ( Deckel Maho Gildemeister) is basically the results of buy outs in Germany. The DMG products are so bad, most of the local distributors people quit so they didn't have to deal with that product any longer. One of the techs told me he couldn't believe anyone would buy that stuff, they run for a week then down for 3 waiting parts or a solution. He is a huge Mori fan, like me, and said the Mori products are still well built. I'm sure there are some DMG products that are OK, but all in all not up to the same quality as Japanese products.

Mori and DMG are now a merged company. In fact the official corporate name is DMG / Mori Seiki / Ellison Technologies. The DMF is an awesome platform. And contrary to Underthetire's claim DMG's past issues are working themselves out. The very reason Mori bought shares in them in the first place. Because MORI is now driving a lot of what they are doing.

Trunion style are good for small 5 axis parts. Some companies such as Hermle make very large highly accurate trunion style. They are faster than bridge style but limited to part size. If you are machining 5 axis parts as large as say aircraft bodies you'll need a bride machine with articulating head. Mazak, ycm, mori are all very excellent. Check out ycm. They are very high quality without the high Japanese price tag.

Russ