584,850 active members*
4,361 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > whats it take to make expensive commercial ovens and ranges?

whats it take to make expensive commercial ovens and ranges?

im curious what it takes to make an expensive commercial range or oven..i would imagine that everything but the cast grates can be made somewhat easily by an average machine shop with sheet metal tools, a tig welder, and a lathe. anyone try that sort of thing?

how do they charge $5k, $10k, $20k for those appliances in restaurants?

is it the same reasoning as charging $200 for a stainless steel range vent thats basically 8 bends and some spot welds?

I can't justify anybody's pricing. First, there's the cost to manufacture. All that overhead like buildings, machinery, power, wages etc. Then there's liability insurance and other professional services like accountants, lawyers etc. Add to that property taxes.

After all that, you would expect to make a profit. The various governments will want to you to pay taxes on that.

When you sell your stove to a distributor, he will add his expenses like warehousing, property taxes, utilities, transportation, wages etc. Then he marks it up to get a profit for his company. The various governments will want him to pay taxes on that as well.

The dealer the end customer buys the stove from will add his expense which are fairly similar to the distributors. Then there's the salesmans comission, delivery expenses and the dealer wants to make a profit too. The various governments will want him to pay taxes on that as well.

Then there's the last insult, sales taxes the end customer pays to keep the various governments happy.

Simple, eh?

Dick Z

add: Oh, I forgot to add the cost of the sheet steel, grate castings and finishing materials.
    DZASTR

heres a $7500 viking oven,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Viking-BVGRC...51323434901%26

its not even a commercial oven. what makes it cost that much? given i can buy a tormach for about the same price, im highly doubtful there are a similar amount of carefully designed, machined, or expensive parts inside of it. how much more can it be than:

sheet metal box(es)
    regulators probably sourced from some industrial supplier, or no better than. im pretty sure a $100 gas regulator for an industrial process would do just as well as whatever viking has come up with.
    simple welded grates for the oven
    kaowool style insulation
    basic electronics
    cast parts like the grill, etc..

but how could all that add up to such a crazy price?

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    but how could all that add up to such a crazy price?
    The fact that there a bunch of "yuppie" rich kids that are willing to have one to brag about.

Quote Originally Posted by packrat View Post
    The fact that there a bunch of "yuppie" rich kids that are willing to have one to brag about.
    id say you were right and leave it at that..except that the commercial versions probably arent just a name..there must be something about them? maybe there really is alot of clever, patented design that makes the rather simple parts hold up well for a very long time under commercial abuse? or maybe there is a very long warranty?

Accurate even temperature is not as easy as it seems at first.

Build an identical one with the same quality of finish and see how long it takes you.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Then replace it for free when it arrives at the clients home with a scratch or dent.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Build an identical one with the same quality of finish and see how long it takes you.
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

Don't forget all of the testing and certifications needed to be able to sell it to the public as well.

Sent from tapatalk

lol testing, certs, and how long a diy'er takes to make one dont explain $7500. you could say the same things about a $300 oven.

anyways ive noticed that kitchen and barbeque items made of metal tend to get very very expensive without much going on really besides maybe slightly heavier parts and design that is somewhat rational as opposed to outright horrible i.e. the $300 and under stuff at lowes.

for instance, guess how much this 42" range hood is? its stainless, with a couple fans.

$200?

$500?

nope..keep going

$900?

nope

$1500

nope

$2500

nope

$2900

id gladly spend a MONTH making that for $2900 and i bet i could do it in a week. someone experienced in sheet metal could probably do it in day. ridiculous

Is it really that simple? http://youtu.be/OE_sR6QtHmk

Sent from tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dylwad View Post
    Is it really that simple? How It's Made Range Hoods - YouTube

Sent from tapatalk
    yes it really is. make a sheet metal box. bolt a fan module into it. done. that video shows exactly what im talking about, thanks!

Wolf range how it's made http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U_Z4tap...3DU_Z4tapE12I#

Sent from tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dylwad View Post
    Wolf range how it's made
    Sent from tapatalk
    wow i really thought there was some secret but i guess i was completely right..its a spot welded box with a bunch of off the shelf components lol

you can do without the porcelain finish and the location of the elements and fans look trivial. hard to screw any of it up really.

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    t of thing?

how do they charge $5k, $10k, $20k for those appliances in restaurants?

it's about product in demand

With domestic crap - kenmore or the likes come out with the new latest greatest model designs every year , so appliances are being tossed because they don't match the new funky toaster or the dogs dish . With it comes piss poor quality .
    my 3 year old kenmore stove blew up the oven element and went up in flames .
    I then replaced it with a samsung freakin " stainless steel " stove , you can look at it but just don't touch it or the streaks will show and make it look like crap . It has all the bells and whistles and it has some mega multi burner system which seems to have 2 heat settings , too hot or way too hot .
    My 1.5 year old $2500 "once again" stainless fridge , blew up the computer , $500 later it was working again . the repair guy told me that they cant handle power interruptions , blowing a breaker is enough to kill the fridges controller
    Product in demand , the quality is in the appearance . The days of having appliances for 20-30 years is long gone
    Commercial products works the other way(the old way , the right way) , restaurants don't care about beauty .
    when it comes to commercial products , it'll boil down to consistency of quality , consistency in usability , and the reliability of a long lived product . Product in demand isn't anywhere near what domestic demand is , so the price has to be high , otherwise no-one would make em
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Premium brands demand premium prices. You don't get that on the first one you make, or even the first 1000 that you make, unless you're making one off custom products.

Your sheet metal box with off the shelf components would probably be a lot closer to a $500 range hood than a $2900 one.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I figure it's the fan motors. We just replaced the one on the CNC mill's spindle drive motor, $1,300.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD ZASTROW View Post
    I figure it's the fan motors. We just replaced the one on the CNC mill's spindle drive motor, $1,300.

Dick Z
    I hope the fan was attached to a spindle motor? :devious:
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.