584,849 active members*
4,373 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Lagunmatic 310 spindle taper / CAM upload

Lagunmatic 310 spindle taper / CAM upload

Hello. i am considering purchasing a Lagunmatic 310 CNC knee mill with a dynapath delta 20 controll. Can soneone tell me what spindle taper these machines use? Also, is uploading a program from a CAM package possible with this machine?
    Thanks in advance

Those could be quick switch or ct40. Yes, the delta 20 has rs232, you will need the correct post processor.

Thanks for the information. If the spindle is CT 40 it will be music to my ears.

The taper depends on its age. If you have a 310 from between 1985 and 96-ish it will probably be NMTB 40. They're easy to recognize, just look for the little "extension" on the small end of the tool holders. BT40 and CAT40 tool holders look like cones with pull studs on the ends, NMTB40 doesn't use studs (no automatic tool changer) and just has a little cylindrical extension with a threaded hole in it.

On the bright side, you can convert the spindle to CAT40 with a new drawbar and by removing one of the drive dogs from the mount of the spindle. It'll work the same, using the air wrench power drawbar for tightening/loosening the tool holder, but you'll be able to use CAT40 tool holders (which a lot of people say are more common/easier to find than NMTB40).

Generally, these are nice machines... lots of iron, very solid. The Dynapath Delta 20 controls are rather outdated. Some people like them and find them easy to work with, others like me replace them with LinuxCNC. I don't need to download programs then, since LinuxCNC handles any length of program.

Prices vary, but a 310 in good shape with everything working will currently cost about $9k - $15k depending on how many dings it has, and whether it comes with tooling or not.

Thanks for the information. The machine is a 1990 vintage and in good working order except for a bad encoder on one axis. I verified that it is the encoder and not the board. It looks like the CAT40 holder will work with a new drawbar as you mentioned. I'll be reading up on the control soon. Hopefully I can get a post for Mastercam X4 to work with the Dynapath 20.
    Thanks again.