585,705 active members*
4,626 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need opinion on first CNC machine

Hi All,

I'm new in this forum. I would like to step into CNC machining for my hobby.

I'm thinking of buying the Chinese made CNC 3020 MACH3 supported CNC Engraver CNC3020 + controller+ MHC2 mpg handwheel pendant | eBay

I will be using it to cut plastic, and maybe Aluminum.

Also, I would like to ask which design software is easy to use for newbie?

Here are some example of the things I want to make.

Thankyou in advance!

Jacky

I like CAMBAM - it can import from "free" CAD systems if necessary (it hasn't been so far), easy to learn, inexpensive..... So far the CAD portion of CAMBAM has been robust enough that I haven't had to use a dedicated CAD system to feed it.

LEs

Also, I have question on CAD drawing.

Which CAD software is easy to use?

I have learn NX 7.5 before. Will it work?

I've used NX for at least 10-15 years ( CAD and CAM ). You can do anything with NX, depending on the level of license you buy. For machining, you just need the right post for your machine. The downsides are that I believe it's not that easy to learn ( CAM and CAD ) and it's expensive.... It's up to you to decide if you can use a " lower end software " ( simple 2D ), less expensive with less possibility but usually easier to learn. This is just my personnal opinion, others may think differently...

I have to say that the machine does look interesting. I cant say how capable it is or how reliable it is, but my guess would be that it would do just fine for pcb and plastic, but not sure about aluminum. It is a chinese machine so i would expect an issue or two.

I have this machine and have been very pleased with it: CNC 6040Z-S80(New Version) ROUTER ENGRAVER DRILLING AND MILLING MACHINE - carving-cnc.com

I have had some issues though (spindle had a shorting that resulted in shutoff from my HFI in the house... not that easy to diagnose). But it can cut aluminum with a precision of 1/10mm.

Is it worth the extra 1/2 of the price of the machine you are linking to? Dont know. I think that the machine you are linking to could be a great starter machine for learning CAM if it dosent come with to many issues.

CNC is a great hobby though. It takes time to learn, but when mastered it opens endless opportunities.

I have a machine similar (not the same) to that 3020, and it is an ok first learner. (Mine was actually my third small machine) Once you discover its limitations you can decide if you want to upgrade it or get something else. It should be fine for plastics. The spindle looks like the typical 300 watt Chinese DC spindle, so if you go to aluminum you will probably be looking at fairly light cuts, but its doable. You want to stay light on that machine with aluminum anyway. It does not have a really rigid look to it, and heavy cuts would probably twist it out of shape during machining.

I use CamBam by itself for 99.9% of the 2D work like you show in your pictures with no problems at all. Its actually a decent 2D CAD application, and it has the best support community of *any* software I have used. The best part is you get to use the full blown features of CamBam frm the very first download without giving out all your personal information. Its not time limited either. Its 40 executions limited so if you can't use it for a month because life got busy you don't waste your full feature demo time. I admit when I was demoing it left the software open for days at a time to maximize my demo period, but I bet if it was an issue for somebody Andy would find a way to extend the demo uses for somebody. Don't waste your time on the free version though. Its ancient and archaic by comparison to the current stable release.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com