586,009 active members*
4,809 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > VF4 10,000 RPM NO Horsepower! What is the correct wiring layout at the spindle motor?

VF4 10,000 RPM NO Horsepower! What is the correct wiring layout at the spindle motor?

My VF4 10,000 rpm machine had the spindle motor / gear box replaced a while ago. The gearbox had gone bad and was making a lot of noise. The original motor was a baldor. The replacement is a 6 wire Lincoln. This is a older machine with a GPD503 drive. Ever since the motor was replaced the machine doesn't have as much HP as it use to. Of course the Tech that installed it said there was nothing wrong. I'm trying to diagnose it now and can not find a wiring schematic that shows the wiring at the spindle motor. I want to make sure the tech wired it correctly. This machine does not have the Wye / Delta option, thus no contactor between the drive and motor. Can't find anything about the motor via google. The motor is currently wired with T4-5-6 together and T1 to L1, T2 to L2 and T3 to L3. In looking at generic wiring diagrams, that looks like it is wired for Wye which also seems like the "start" wiring arrangement. Any Thoughts?

Does it use the same feedback device to from motor to drive?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

6 wire motors have different torque characteristics depending on whether they are wired star or delta.
    In star connection, the voltage across each winding is lower, the current draw is lower, and the power and torque are lower
    Normally the star configuration in a 6 wire motor is used for starting, and then the delta configuration is used for running.
    Cheers
    Bushwakka

I replied once but it did not seem to post...?

I am chasing down a spindle drive / motor issue now too. I have a VF1 with a GPD 515 drive with a Lincoln motor.

I used a tachometer to check the actual spindle speed and there are big problems. Entering 7500 from the keypad I am only getting 1787 actual RPM at the spindle. At 500 it is spinning around 100 actual.

Can you make a similar test to see if your RPM is correct?

My gear box is working and the wiring to the motor appears correct. (When I get to the shop I will post what I have on that. There might be a motor plate with basic info for wiring on your motor)

In my case I am going to test the input voltage to the Spindle drive to see if that is correct.

If the drive is getting the correct input from the MOTIF, it could be that the parameters in the drive are not correct for the motor that was installed.

ChuckMTB

My problem is different. RPM is ok, just not enough HP or torque. I think I have found the problem. The motor was wired WYE when it was installed. The machine needs DELTA wiring.

Did your problem happen suddenly? Is this machine new to you? Sounds like it might be a drive issue.