585,930 active members*
3,715 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Oiling options for CNC

I'm getting ready to convert my G0704 semi-clone mill (TM20LV).

I find that I don't oil it enough regularly manually as is. The main difficulty being getting oil on to the X axis (table) dove tails.

I've seen a number of great implementations of one shot oilers with grooves milled in the ways. But costs seems to be $$$$$$$$$$$$

Options I've found:
    1. Keep oiling manually - not great, but cheap

2. Zerk fittings to milled passages in ways
    - easy to implement
    - cheap on ebay
    - requires a high pressure manual oil gun (a grease gun can be converted)
    - system used on bridgeports of old

3. Full one shot oiler
    - best, but most $$$$
    - cost of pump, but the main issue is the cost of metering units and check valves. Everything I've come across recommends Bijur fittings, but these cost >$12 each from what I can see.
    --- X, Y, Z ways x2 each = 6, plus 3 screws = 9 units needed (minimum).

Thoughts?
    How have people done this on a budget?
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

A small sponge or brush makes lubing the X ways easy.

I've been running my x3 for 2 years doing production for the last year by manually oiling it. I wrote a program that fires up the spindle too 1000 rpm (with blank tool holder) , moves the table all the way left the M01 and I dip a 1" brush I a small bottle of oil and reach under to paint the ball screw, front and rear dovetails.

I hit cycle start and it goes to the right. Same thing. Then it comes forward. Same thing except I can't get behind the table so it just travels the Y limits twice then I paint the front again.

The Z ball screw I added a plastic line through a small hole drilled in the top of the column and then pressed onto an oil can. I just reach under the table and pump the oil can until I see it enter the column then 3 more pumps. The spindle increases rpm at each step to warm it up. I do that every day when I fire her up and it takes less than 5 minutes from power button to loading he vise.

I have used the X3 on thousands and thousands of production parts and it's still running strong (14 hours yesterday, and again every day this week today).

The auto oiler on my tormach sure is nice but my x3 is small and easy to reach all the oil points I just don't see much value in pulling it apart and investing a whole day or two to machine oil paths and rig up fittings. That equates to probably a year of manually warming it up and painting to equal out and I like warming spindles up on machines anyways so it doesn't matter much in the long run.

I warm up the spindle on the Tormach too and end up waiting the same amount of time for it too.

Brian
    WOT Designs

ArcEuroTrade seem to be the best option for one shot oiler at present.

However, I did find cheap adjustable manifolds on ebay: 12 7cm Length 6mm Main Hole DIA OIL Grooves Brass Adjustable 6 WAY Distributor | eBay
    But I'm unsure on the hose connection - will they work with nylon hose? Or do they perhaps use hard (copper) lines?
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)