584,874 active members*
5,271 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > Which mini lathe would you recommend?

Which mini lathe would you recommend?

Out of the 6-7 brands made primarily by sieg, which machine in the 7x10-7x12 size range would you pick? Such as Grizzly, Cummins, HF, Homier etc.. Im ready to purchase one, just cant make up my mind. There seems to be a few small differences between all the Sieg manufactured machines. Thanks

For what it is worth, I just went through the same thing and got a Cummins. Why? Because except for the Homier it was the cheapest, all said and done for a 7x12 shipped. I had the opportunity to get a HF 7x10 at cost, but they never had any in stock. I also hear that the HF 7x10 no longer has a taper on the spindle.

The Homier is $299, the Cummins is $399, but comes with quite a bit of accesories (probably at least worth the $100 difference). Enco would have been a little more ($40 or so) after price, shipping and tax, but no extra accesories and 4 in shorter working area (the 7x10 is really only 8 in)! The MicroMark was quite a bit more (150 or so after price and shipping diff, but no accesories) for a few more bells and whistles that I do not think that I needed. The lady at Cummins was very nice and it only took about 3 days from the time I ordered to get it.

I must have thought about it non-stop for a couple of weeks or so before I bought it. I did every kind of analysis, but in the end I think they are all pretty much the same. BTW, I did look at the 8x14 too, but HF was out of stock.

So, morale of the story is, just get what ever one is cheapest and in stock. I am pretty sure that they are all identical within the same model. It is easy to keep pouring over the subtle differences, but by and large they all do the same thing, so I just went by price. :cheers:

mjarus.

Quote Originally Posted by mjarus
    For what it is worth, I just went through the same thing and got a Cummins. Why? Because except for the Homier it was the cheapest, all said and done for a 7x12 shipped. I had the opportunity to get a HF 7x10 at cost, but they never had any in stock. I also hear that the HF 7x10 no longer has a taper on the spindle.

The Homier is $299, the Cummins is $399, but comes with quite a bit of accesories (probably at least worth the $100 difference). Enco would have been a little more ($40 or so) after price, shipping and tax, but no extra accesories and 4 in shorter working area (the 7x10 is really only 8 in)! The MicroMark was quite a bit more (150 or so after price and shipping diff, but no accesories) for a few more bells and whistles that I do not think that I needed. The lady at Cummins was very nice and it only took about 3 days from the time I ordered to get it.

I must have thought about it non-stop for a couple of weeks or so before I bought it. I did every kind of analysis, but in the end I think they are all pretty much the same. BTW, I did look at the 8x14 too, but HF was out of stock.

So, morale of the story is, just get what ever one is cheapest and in stock. I am pretty sure that they are all identical within the same model. It is easy to keep pouring over the subtle differences, but by and large they all do the same thing, so I just went by price. :cheers:

mjarus.
    Man I hear ya, im going crazy over here. Probably for no good reason either. I like the variable speed on the 7's and I only do very small combustion engines and such. Homier seems to keep pushing their timeline of when they will have any in stock back. I cant wait 2-3 weeks anymore, im itching bad to get it. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it much. :cheers:

The 7x series are really small and light machines. Consider looking at something like the Harbor Freight 8x12 (which is actually 8x14) As far as I can tell, it is made in China but not by Sieg and appears to be almost identical to the LatheMaster (only difference is the color and name plate as far as I can tel). Physically, it is about twice he size and weight of the 7x10. It appears to be of pretty good quality. Right now, it is on sale for $440 and with the current 20% off coupon that brings it down to only $352 (plus tax of course) What a steal!

Quote Originally Posted by sanddrag
    The 7x series are really small and light machines. Consider looking at something like the Harbor Freight 8x12 (which is actually 8x14) As far as I can tell, it is made in China but not by Sieg and appears to be almost identical to the LatheMaster (only difference is the color and name plate as far as I can tel). Physically, it is about twice he size and weight of the 7x10. It appears to be of pretty good quality. Right now, it is on sale for $440 and with the current 20% off coupon that brings it down to only $352 (plus tax of course) What a steal!
    thats really tempting since I live 15 minutes from an HF retail store were I can use the coupon. I do really like the variable speed on the 7x's. Is manually changing speed a big deal? Also everywhere I read about the 8x12 it indicates 12" centers, how do you get 14"? Thanks

You might have a hard time finding it in a store, but if they don't have it, ask them to check other stores or check if you can pick it up directly from the warehouse. I had to get it directly from their Camarillo, CA warehouse. Or, ask if you can have the store order it (using your coupon) and have it shipped to the store or your house. You'll be able to get it somehow.

I read about it being 8x14 here: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...72&postcount=7

and also from fignoggle (www.fignoggle.com)

and to the best of my own measuring ability.

changing speeds isn't too big of a deal. Just takes a wrench to loosen then you can slide the pulley and move the belt.

Overall, the machine is approximately 36 inches long and 20 inches deep and takes two strong people to lift.

The only thing that kind of bugs me about it is the carraige wheel is only graduated in .020 increments. I'll probably rig up a makeshift DRO using a 12" digital caliper.

You might have a hard time finding it in a store, but if they don't have it, ask them to check other stores or check if you can pick it up directly from the warehouse. I had to get it directly from their Camarillo, CA warehouse. Or, ask if you can have the store order it (using your coupon) and have it shipped to the store or your house. You'll be able to get it somehow.

I read about it being 8x14 here: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...72&postcount=7

and also from fignoggle (www.fignoggle.com)

and to the best of my own measuring ability.

changing speeds isn't too big of a deal. Just takes a wrench to loosen then you can slide the pulley and move the belt.

Overall, the machine is approximately 36 inches long and 20 inches deep and takes two strong people to lift.

The only thing that kind of bugs me about it is the carraige wheel is only graduated in .020 increments. I'll probably rig up a makeshift DRO using a 12" digital caliper.
    Thus far the 8x looks the way to go, thanks alot

Well its not possible to get the 8x and use the 20% off coupon unless you live in california and HF had them in stock there. Its an internet only item, sucks

Welcome to my world... same issue that I had.

I agree that the 8x12 would kick tail for under $400, but the conditions have to be right to get one at that price. I couldn't get the stars to align on that one either.

mjarus

So the local store will not order one into the store for you? Even if it is paid for in advance?

So the local store will not order one into the store for you? Even if it is paid for in advance?
    Just talked to the manager and he said av ailability is none and its soon to be discontinued. The way harbor freight warehouse and retail stores work is a really crazy thing. Bottom line for me and my 20% off coupon is either the 9x20 for 550 dollars or the 7x10

Quote Originally Posted by woody1
    Just talked to the manager and he said av ailability is none and its soon to be discontinued.

I don’t know if I would believe that, I don’t think the local store manager would have any idea what corporate is planning.

I recently purchased an 8x12 from HF, and have spent more that a few hours in the HF store playing with the 7x and 9x. In my opinion the 8x12 is the best machine out of the 3.

-Dan S.
    Dan Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Dan S
    I don’t know if I would believe that, I don’t think the local store manager would have any idea what corporate is planning.

I recently purchased an 8x12 from HF, and have spent more that a few hours in the HF store playing with the 7x and 9x. In my opinion the 8x12 is the best machine out of the 3.

-Dan S.
    The way he said it is, the catalog/internet warehouse availability is totally different from his availability. he cant get product from the catalog/internet warehouse, and thats the only place to get the 8x. So I have to pay full 439.00 for the 8x or get the 7x with 20% off or the 9x with 20% off

I'm so tempted to buy that 8 x14 everyone that actually has one prefers it to the 7 x 12, usually they have both. I know whiteriver has one that he bought recently and says its considerably better.

The way he said it is, the catalog/internet warehouse availability is totally different from his availability. he cant get product from the catalog/internet warehouse, and thats the only place to get the 8x. So I have to pay full 439.00 for the 8x or get the 7x with 20% off or the 9x with 20% off
    Same EXACT thing that happened to me. (chair) I was willing to pay up-front and everything... same story from 2 different stores. Then they ran out of the 7x10. BAH! I am happy that they did though, as I really like the 7x12.

Some day I think I may get a 9x20 or larger... but first I need to get more space. Right now my lathe fits perfect where it is at and has done most of what I wanted it to. I have even machined some 1018 CRS, which is a royal PITA.

mjarus.

Ok so lets say the 7x12 is a non option, what about comparing the 8x14 to the 9x20? Im going crazy here and just need to buy one I guess, but just like as many real world opinions as I can get

Frist don't assume that every single small lathe is made by Sieg. A good deal of them yes but apparently not all of them.

Chooosing a lathe is one of those things where size often does matter, but what matters even more is makeing sure it fits into your projected usage patterns. For example the 7" and 8" lathes are very nice for simple CNC conversions due to a bolted on chuck. A 9x20 is not that nice for CNC due to a screwed on chuck. However if you don't intend to CNC the 9x20 lathe is an excellent machine for the price. That is once you have dealt with its short comings. Realize that all lathes in this price range have short comings.

So what I'm going to suggest is ot go the 9" route if you do not expect to CNC. The only exception is fi yoou are absolutely sure you will not need a larger swing or space betwen centers. You can never be sure! You might respond by saying well why not get a Hardinge or an import 14" lathe if bigger is better. To which I respond that the 9x20 is at the bottom of the pricing curve, especially if purchased from HF on sale, and the next step up is rather big in cost. Plus this size lathe is still very manageable for smaller tasks. In other words the 9x20 hits the seat spot for features, cost and usability.

Also not to casue any controversy but many of the 7" lathes have DC drives that leave a lot to be desired. I would avoid such drives and go for single speed motors. If you really want variable speed drive (it is very nice to have) consider an after market upgrade of a lathe DIY. Yeah a good American made motor and drive will likely be expensive realtive to the cost of the lathe, but you have more options and far more durability. Options? you may ask; here I mean DC, Brushless DC, and 3 Phase AC drives. AC drives have come down in cost and the quality has improved so much, that they offer a really attractive alternative to DC dirves.

I hope I haven't confused you any more. With a lathe I do believe that the 9x20 represents the most one could reasonably expect for a machine one man can handle. Just keep your expectations in check for all of these machines. Work out the kinks and you will have a nice tool with the purchase of any of them.

Thanks
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by wizard
    Frist don't assume that every single small lathe is made by Sieg. A good deal of them yes but apparently not all of them.

Chooosing a lathe is one of those things where size often does matter, but what matters even more is makeing sure it fits into your projected usage patterns. For example the 7" and 8" lathes are very nice for simple CNC conversions due to a bolted on chuck. A 9x20 is not that nice for CNC due to a screwed on chuck. However if you don't intend to CNC the 9x20 lathe is an excellent machine for the price. That is once you have dealt with its short comings. Realize that all lathes in this price range have short comings.

So what I'm going to suggest is ot go the 9" route if you do not expect to CNC. The only exception is fi yoou are absolutely sure you will not need a larger swing or space betwen centers. You can never be sure! You might respond by saying well why not get a Hardinge or an import 14" lathe if bigger is better. To which I respond that the 9x20 is at the bottom of the pricing curve, especially if purchased from HF on sale, and the next step up is rather big in cost. Plus this size lathe is still very manageable for smaller tasks. In other words the 9x20 hits the seat spot for features, cost and usability.

Also not to casue any controversy but many of the 7" lathes have DC drives that leave a lot to be desired. I would avoid such drives and go for single speed motors. If you really want variable speed drive (it is very nice to have) consider an after market upgrade of a lathe DIY. Yeah a good American made motor and drive will likely be expensive realtive to the cost of the lathe, but you have more options and far more durability. Options? you may ask; here I mean DC, Brushless DC, and 3 Phase AC drives. AC drives have come down in cost and the quality has improved so much, that they offer a really attractive alternative to DC dirves.

I hope I haven't confused you any more. With a lathe I do believe that the 9x20 represents the most one could reasonably expect for a machine one man can handle. Just keep your expectations in check for all of these machines. Work out the kinks and you will have a nice tool with the purchase of any of them.

Thanks
    Dave
    Thanks alot for the reply, I really have no intentions of cnc that I can remotely forecast. I like using my hands for making things, turning dials, moving handles and so forth. The mods I would see I need to make immediately are the 4 bolt compound mod and maybe the reverse tumbler issue in regards to left hand threads. Also I see people using treadmill motors and controllers for variable speed, is this a desirable and cost effective way to handle this situation? I dont want to have to worry about duty cycle and burning a motor BUT would really like variable speed. 550 dollars for the 9x20 at HF seems like a great deal I must say

Hey woody, don,t forget to check your local papers and bargain magazines. Also go check out any salvage or surplus centers in your area. Ya never know what you,ll find. I got my 9 x 20 from a gentleman who hardley used it and at a salvage place here in town I discovered 6 pallets of various milling cutters , lathe cutters and parts and pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by woody1
    Thanks alot for the reply, I really have no intentions of cnc that I can remotely forecast.
    That is good as I say the 9x20 is less than ideal for CNC out of the box.
    I like using my hands for making things, turning dials, moving handles and so forth. The mods I would see I need to make immediately are the 4 bolt compound mod and maybe the reverse tumbler issue in regards to left hand threads.
    The 4 botl is a good idea. personally I'd like to see sombody come up with a replacement for that compound but this is a good fix.

The tumbler reverse is nice if you think you will need it. Personally I would put it off initially until other mods are made. For example I would prefer to see a quck change tool post mounted on a block to elminate the compound when it is not needed to assist with precision machining.

I'm also for the variable speed approach before the tunbler reverse installation. Especially if tumbler reverse is for threading.
    Also I see people using treadmill motors and controllers for variable speed, is this a desirable and cost effective way to handle this situation?
    I would have to say yes! There are qualifications though. Hopefully the treadmill motor is in good condition and you use a good quality DC drive to rotate the motor. Do be careful about HP ratings on these motors, do not assume that the ratings are NEMA or continous duty.
    I dont want to have to worry about duty cycle and burning a motor BUT would really like variable speed.
    Yes duty cycle could be an issue with a lathe used commercially or industrially, but this is not usualy the case with lathes used by hobbiest. It is possible to get a motor that is so poorly rated that it won't work well, but the reality is that this is a common modification for these lathes and has worked well for many people. Some of these people even use their lathes in a commercial sense. So I don't see the treadmill motor, of a suitable HP rating, as a problem as an upgrade. A good quality DC drive that is matched to the motor is important.

It should be noted that you can go out and buy the hardware new also. That is a brand new drive with a brand new motor. This does give you more options at a corresponding increase in expense. You may be surprised though that the increase is not that bad. Check with your local electrical/automation hardware suppliers along with www.automationdirect.com.

550 dollars for the 9x20 at HF seems like a great deal I must say
    Yes it is a good deal, I won't however say great deal. You do have work to do on the lathe immediately after buying. Also expect to have to replace some of the stuff that comes with the lathe. For example a good portion of the hand tools will need to be replaced as they are of questionable value.
    Just about all of the set screws and many ofhte other machine screws are of questionable value. IF you do change screws realize that you are working with cast iron, over torquing will strip threads fast. More of a disappointment is the live center. Depending on how good your machine is, you may end up having to rework other things on it to a degree that is acceptable to you.

So I'm reluctant to call it a great deal. The 9x20 is however a bargain and a good machine if you are up to the task of making it a great machine.

Dave