585,604 active members*
3,234 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: XLR8 Kerf

XLR8 Kerf

Has anyone figured out how to do kerf compensation in the XLR8 control?
    Do you wish to share your knowledge?

Thanks
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

(Edit) Don't they have that built into the software? I'm still shopping... been shopping for a while, but have seen a few machines. I looked at an EZcut not too long ago, and that was the first thing they demo'ed. I don't see how you could cut anything intricate without it...

Otherwise, don't you have to make sample cuts for each material, each direction of travel, and change your paths by the required amount? Even then, circles wouldn't be round... ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sykosys View Post
    (Edit) Don't they have that built into the software?
    I thought it was supposed to but if it is it takes rocket scientist to use.
    Intricate items I run through my nesting software that does the offset for me.
    IMO EZCut has much better software, it was the design of the hardware that made me go with DT

I don't see how it should take rocket science - the hardware itself *shouldn't* be responsible for this. The controller isn't aware of the differences between specific types of cutter, what tips you may be using, how thick the material is that's being cut, or any of that. It must be controlled in software - just as you would in a milling machine, where the CAM software must be aware of the size of your tool before it makes the path, what you're cutting, and so on. All of this should be completely transparent to the operator. You and I may understand why this is the case, but an average operator may not.

I can't speak to the build quality of the Dynatorch (and I was really impressed with EZCut, because the owner had beat the crap out of it, but it performed like a charm), but even if it's the cat's meow, incomplete software is a serious issue. It's like selling you a Ferrari without tires or a steering wheel. Pretty, but useless. If they don't have this feature, it's like selling you that Ferrari, and you *can't* get wheels or a steering wheel that fits properly without building your own with toothpicks...

Anyone know of a Dynatorch that I can come see in the Sudbury area? DareBee offered to have me come by, but the stars haven't lined up to go to London/Stratford...

Kris.

It is possible we misunderstand or you are just saying your piece for the benefit of others (hey - I do it).
    Yes mechanics have nothing to do with Kerf. My point was that the mechanics, motors, drives, etc of the machine are head-and-shoulders over others I tested and I didn't see ANY machines with a properly engineered air system other than at 3X the money.

Back to the topic at hand.
    The control is 100% capable of using CAM generated Gcode utilizing cutter comp (exactly like a mill).

My original post is about simple as pie cutter comp like ezcut had. On reflection (due to previous posts ) this was accomplished in ezcut on the dxf converter software.
    Eg scenario - I draw a rectangle in draftsight and save as dxf. Open dxf in Dynatorch converter (there is no option here that I can find to tell it a kerf size or to "use cutter comp - yes or no" (for that matter I cant set feed rate here ether which is a PITA or create auto lead-ins)). Converter makes Gcode. Controller runs G code (with no feature to insert cutter comp)
    In the end my cut part is smaller by the kerf unless I resize my dxf before conversion or use other software to process my Gcode.
    I have a MNOR software version update to do now but I doubt it addresses any of these short comings.
    The software is excellent Other than these IMO shortcomings

I can't say that I'm holding the "EZCutCNC Torch" (haha) other than to say so far I have been quite impressed with their product, given the price point. What I *do* want to is find out what's best for me... because I now have a space that is not limited (space, access, power, ventilation), and cash will be at hand. I've been really busy of late (leading to said cash), but I have been doing a lot of reading, and have been following you since our conversations earlier in the year. If I find something that is better, as a whole package (hardware, software, capability, cost and support), then I'll go there. I've made contact with Dynatorch, to see if there is a machine I can see locally, and I've also asked them about this kerf issue.

Having said that, let me ask you this question, from your experience. Let's say you have a design that is very fine; be it feathers, pine trees, a grid. You do up your paths, but don't pay attention to the kerf width. At any point along the way does the dynatorch software say, "No, if you cut this, kerfs will overlap!"? If not, then that's a serious omission, in my mind... sometimes such isn't obvious, and clearly, the material and its thickness have a big part to play. This is especially important to me, because I expect to be doing a lot of this fine work. If I have to make manual adjustments to not waste material and/or have a good part, then the machine becomes a lot more expensive to run... I cost a lot more per hour than the machine. In my mind, software *MUST* be able to a) analyse a design in consideration of the material being cut, and adjust the G code for Kerf and b) warn me in the case that there is no path that will not result in an undersized and/or garbage part that is unexpectedly 50 pieces instead of one.

I know that the EZCut software does this, hardware aside.

Kris.

According to Dynatorch, their software DOES do Kerf compensation. May want to check with them on that.

"Sigmanest is a high end trueshape nesting program that does do kerf compensation, including direction, our software handles the speed." -- Ric Hamby, Dynatorch

He also is sending me to you for a demo. Apparently he is unaware of the size of Canada.

Kris.

Further to that last email, Ric wrote,

It's done in the Sigmanest software, the Dynatorch software doesn't do kerf compensation.

Most people use SheetCAM or something similar, we use SigmaLite on our Super B systems and have Sigma Companion on the bigger systems.
    SigmaLite only does kerf compensation, lead ins/ outs and cut order.
    Sigma Companion adds true shape nesting that even does part in a part,

I'm sorry Derek hasn't contacted Sigmanest or us on how to do this.

I guess he figured we should have that in our software.

We haven't written CAD because there are to many great CAD programs out there.
    We haven't written kerf compensation software because products like SheetCAM and SigmaLite are so inexpensive.
    We haven't written art software because most of it is a joke, and really good ones are about $1000 or more.
    Hope this helps, DareBee.

Kris.