585,752 active members*
3,697 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: V26 upgrade

Page 3 of 9 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by aldepoalo View Post
    As far as the V25, I think it's a great product! I know there are a few topics that some of you feel should be fixed/ added before we moved on to the V26 software.

Topics like:

Automatic tool numbers
    Different tool types for 2D features
    Thread Milling, taper thread milling
    HSM options for 2D and 3D
    etc.

!

I bought v25 because of what it had to offer and I had to overlook what it doesn't . Don't suppose it stopped me from harping but either way I've gotten my use out of the software
    At this point I only see adding these tools as fluff , anyone can program woodruffs and radius mills with simple 2d toolpathing . The only place I see it to be of benefit is in simulation , which I find it impossible to justify the expense if that's the case .
    lollypop options on the other hand are a good thing as long as they are being use 3 dimensionally , cross holes and the likes are great to deburr with a lollypop .
    The only thing that would ever encourage me to upgrade again is if there was more to the core , I may sound like a broken record but the 2d is weak with few options , face milling for example is tragic , zigzag toolpaths only create a piss poor surface finish because the tool is not constant , it is climb milling then conventional milling . I could use the zag but I'm no fan of air cutting . I always end up creating geometry then use the pocket feature at z0 , it's not what I consider to be efficient but it works . Btw , why does face milling default to .5 , shouldn't that be zero ?
    Also there are simple inefficiencies such as the fact that the software will not retain the tool info from one op to the next . I tend to use the same tool for numerous operations , and each time I have to go to the library , pick the tool , then once again add the speeds and feeds . Speaking of tool library , it would be great if bc can automatically pull my library rather than me having to import it each time I want to use bc . What would also be nice is if bc didn't default to automatic tool numbering , there's a reason that I created a tool library to begin with .
    You mentioned that people are happy with the direction that the software is going and this is something that I haven't been able to figure out . 5 axis is cool and all but 3 axis is still the dominant force in the industry . I use rotary's every day but all of the programming that I do is treated as three axis then edited into 4 axis programs using g52 shifts or macro programming which calculates the shift with every rotation . I personally don't like wizards or the idiot proofing that many of the software companies are adding to the softwares . simplicity and good feature options are the most efficient way of getting things done . which is why I prefer to see more 2d toolpath options , anyone wanting to understand what I'm talking about should take a look at mastercam . I get that bc isn't mastercam or carries the same price weight , but theres a reason why mc is one of the leaders who is also moving ahead .
    Don't get me wrong I'm not here to criticize , but simply pointing out my preferences in a software which are probably irrelevant to other users desires . Working in the business for over 20 years has taught me a lot about efficiency and I program to the beat of my own drum , creating and working from solids is great when needed , and they are purely unnecessary and inefficient when 2d will suffice
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Being in marketing for over 15 years... I am scratching my freaking head as to why you would do a product release and not have the product?

one of two reason comes to mind...

1. testing the interest prior to release to see exactly what can be released and in what qty?
    2. If interest are not sufficient in product then what is needed to gain the interest of the consumer?

and the list could go on and on....

I too got a call form sales saying they would be emailing me a download link for the v26 demo today...minutes after that call Al post here it will be weeks. HUH?

it could be that most of us that post here are simply starting to outgrow the software and thus we are demanding more features...and it could be that BobCad is not to that point quite yet...I dont know...but as for many of us that have or use other software..if that is the case then those of us that are to that point ..well we already know the answer...

accept what is giving or use something else.

I spoke to the rep and he asked if I liked my V25..i said yes i did...and i felt he was trying to feel me out to see if i was interested in V26...which he was and i was..BUT i told him i would wait for the demo..there was no need to go into detail about everything before i have seen the real thing...

If additional features are coming out...then i would highly suggest not rolling a product out until all of them are offered...the response would have been so much better and more positive.
    Big Chipin, spreading tha cheese, I be Big Chipin for days!

"At this point I only see adding these tools as fluff , anyone can program woodruffs and radius mills with simple 2d toolpathing . The only place I see it to be of benefit is in simulation , which I find it impossible to justify the expense if that's the case . "

I would agree having the tools in simulation is the key feature here, It's nice to see how the part would be machined using these types of tools. It's something we haven't offered in the past and new users will be happy it's there and customer will be happy to now simulate what they have programmed.

"lollypop options on the other hand are a good thing as long as they are being use 3 dimensionally , cross holes and the likes are great to deburr with a lollypop "

If you are a multi axis customer ( 4 axis pro or higher ) you have the 5 axis tool paths that you can use in 3, 4 or 5 axis. Not being a multi axis users in BobCAD or mastercam you end up creating wire frame tool path created by you to drive the cutter for these type of operations. So either way you can simulate now in the V26 for what you are asking here.

Now that we are offering DMS the way you use tool path features are a little different as you can create your own custom operation list. I agree about the facing feature having a spiral in option. Again for feature requests it's best to document them using this link: BobCAM-CAM Software Issue Report, Feature Request | CAD/CAM | BobCAD-CAM

Attachment 203708

The other topic you are talking about is tools and tool numbers. The first thing I recommend you learn about is tool cribs. This way you can save tools you use most often and load a tool crib at the start of the job. Not sure how to use this feature? It's simple ( V25 / v26 ) Program a part like you normally would and pick tools from your library as needed. After the job is completely programmed with all the tools you be using, save your tool crib.

Attachment 203710

Now the next job you want to program and use the same tools that you picked in the last job, before you start loading feature in load in your tool crib. All your tools will come over and be loaded in your crib to choose from.

By default your tools are set to automatic numbering. If you want to turn that feature off, do so now.

Attachment 203712

If you want to change a tool number at the feature level just click on the tool number dialog a tool list will come up, click click on the tool number you want to change and change it.

I know this work flow is not the same as MC, but it work well when you follow it.

IMHO the feature gap from MC and other to BobCAD is getting smaller and smaller by every version. In some ways I feel we are ahead in features and work flow. But to truly dominate the market for CAM we need your feedback and have you guys tell us what you want. The best way to tell is is by feature request. Features we are implementing now were requested 12-16 months ago. So it's important to document your wants as soon as possible.

Again use this link for feature request:

BobCAM-CAM Software Issue Report, Feature Request | CAD/CAM | BobCAD-CAM

As far as wizards go, I don't mind them, if you know what you are doing you skip ahead explorer style, if you are new they guide you though the steps. dertsap, I do appreciate the feedback and I ask you to please put in your request in write using the links I've provided. BobCAD is getting better and better every version and it's all because of customers like you!
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

Big Chips,

I agree, and the download link will be available this week. There are just a few things we have to do before the EXE will be in our CRM to send as a link and put up on the web. So it could be latter today it could be tomorrow, it depends on the web team and development team.... Just wanted to clear that up. When I was talking about weeks I was talking about the first update to the V26...

I think we are all very excited to get our hands on this new version! ( yes I do have a copy ) You'll be able to test drive it soon enough!
    Al DePoalo

Big Chips,

I agree, and the download link will be available this week. There are just a few things we have to do before the EXE will be in our CRM to send as a link and put up on the web. So it could be latter today it could be tomorrow, it depends on the web team and development team.... Just wanted to clear that up. When I was talking about weeks I was talking about the first update to the V26...

I think we are all very excited to get our hands on this new version! ( yes I do have a copy ) You'll be able to test drive it soon enough!
    OK Al, message received, I`ll wait for the Demo

Might be something for a simple 3 Axis Pro user like me but methinks the price tag will be too high for what I would be getting at this level.

From what I hear (Rumour mill) it will be good news for the Lathe users so that in itself is the best news for quite a long time

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

I agree with a lot,probably most of you say Al.And I have to say,you wrote what you have in this thread good.One thing that is bothering me though is this statement " Features we are implementing now were requested 12-16 months ago.""
    What bothers me is pipe threads were discussed very much since I have been with BoB.That has been 4 years.Although I cannot say anybody out right said we would get it in X amount of time,,the answer HAS been "we're working on it.That has been since V23.And yes it has been turned in for feature request numerous times.I have no idea if it is in V26.I kinda understand what you say about fixing little things,and then breaking 10 others.And yes,we can "work-around"(gotta love that term)the little Bugs.If pipe threads are indeed in V26,out of the list of items of things that could warrant one more update for V25,,,giving pipe thread capabilities should be number One.I know BoB never promised it,but it sure has been insinuated that it was coming for many years now.What you see is what you get attitude that SBC spoke of,is completely how most of us have come to accept things.I just think this pipe thread thing would go a long way for BoB,even though you don't have too.

I might add, it will really help those of us that cannot update every version.I will probably have to skip V26 just like I did V24,because dollars and cents don't add up.This is where a maintenance charge would be nice,because then I would be in,more than likely.

Al;
    Thanks for your replies... In post #37, you suggest there is/ are documented work-arounds to some of V25's peculiarities/unsupported features/issues... Where might this list be kept? I don't use BobCAD every day, so such a list would be a great help - keep me from looking for solutions to known issues.

Thanks.

All in all Al, I believe majority of the guys feelings are we don't mind having new versions being released frequently. I know that I, and sounds like the majority of everybody else would just like to see more of the potential of V25 squeezed out. V25 is a great software, however that being said, there should have probably been more detailed fixes and smoothed up around the edges before the next version came out. Like access to all the BASIC tools of machining that you have to upgrade to get. I believe we were just kinda blind sided by the fact we took what you said as fixes being updates for V25, not a whole new version. Or maybe I just read into it wrong. Now I have the feeling that whenever one feature or one tool is proposed we should expect a whole new version. Anyways I am done ranting. Overall i really enjoy BoB and appreciate the help yoi give Al. I might have to try the demo. If nothing else for the lathe side that i have been wanting.

Drew, I can appreciate that. We all want the most out of our money. I don't claim to have all the answers, but I can tell you were are working our butts off to build , deliver, and support the best software we can. Updates, upgrades, etc, what's included what will be in the new version this all could be made more clear by us. What I think you guys would appreciate is more of a run way when products are release....
    Al DePoalo

Looking at the BCC website, I see that 3 axis Mill Pro Full version and the Upgrade Version are same price. Huh?? Really hope that's a typo...

V26 Demo is out. I downloaded from Bobcad.com and gave me a bad file. I emailed my sales rep who sent me a valid link. Have loaded it and started playing.

Ronnie

I downloaded the demo from the website without any problems. Installed properly and seems to run fine. Most of the program seems quite the same, which I suppose is good in that there isn't a lot to learn. Quick glance does look like there are substantial changes to the way the Cam tree works and does address quite a few of the things that I've found annoying about the Cam tree. Looks like it's a good progression from V25, which I never upgraded to, so I'll work with it for a while and perhaps upgrade from V24 to V26 in the new year depending on what they want for the upgrade.

The lathe side looks like it got a pretty serious overhaul, so if that were the only major change, it's still a major change.

Hey Al

"If you are a multi axis customer you are already on our subscription service ( 4 axis pro , 5 axis standard , 5 axis pro ) where with your initial purchase you receive 12 months of updates, upgrades and technical support from date of purchase. "

Any chance that 4 axis standard is included in the above listed?

Thanks

Ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud rider View Post
    Hey Al

"If you are a multi axis customer you are already on our subscription service ( 4 axis pro , 5 axis standard , 5 axis pro ) where with your initial purchase you receive 12 months of updates, upgrades and technical support from date of purchase. "

Any chance that 4 axis standard is included in the above listed?

Thanks

Ronnie
    I second that!

--
    gallenat0r
    --
    gallenat0r

Sorry, no that is not the case. In the purchase price of the multi axis software( 4 axis pro + ) is the subscription service. So really this is not a free upgrade, it's one that is part of the purchase.

Like I said we are taking a deep look into offering a subscription service for all customer levels. So in the future you'll be able to purchase the software, updates , upgrades and support all as one package.
    Al DePoalo

Sorry, no that is not the case. In the purchase price of the multi axis software( 4 axis pro + ) is the subscription service. So really this is not a free upgrade, it's one that is part of the purchase.

Like I said we are taking a deep look into offering a subscription service for all customer levels. So in the future you'll be able to purchase the software, updates , upgrades and support all as one package.
    I purchased the 4axis std in july... Now some two months later you already want to charge me for an upgrade?

--
    gallenat0r
    --
    gallenat0r

If you just purchased the V25 software, are you using it and doing well with it?
    Al DePoalo

If you just purchased the V25 software, are you using it and doing well with it?
    I'm still learning. Coming from Illustrator I sure miss my hotkeys though.
    Btw is there a list of the BCC fonts somewhere, and how do I center text?

--
    gallenat0r
    --
    gallenat0r

To be fair, there aren't many other products of any kind that you can buy today and exchange two months from now for the newer version. With software, I can't think of many examples outside of subscription based products where this would be the case. I have a feeling that if you contact Bobcad and make your case, they'll treat you well. I don't expect it will be free, but I've never had issues with coming to agreement of what's fair with them when it comes to pricing.

Dodgy downloads again

Ah well, knew it was too good to be true

Downloads from the site and from the link in the email sent result in the error below when trying to run the software

Attachment 204100

Just too much hassle for me, I`ll stick with what I`ve got thanks

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Page 3 of 9 12345