585,969 active members*
4,484 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 5 12345
    Al, how fast do you think it's safe to spin my spindle without worrying about the bearings failing? If I remember correctly you're running your 602 spindle with a timing belt, have any suggestions on where to get the pullies?

I just bought an a-m-c b30a40ac drive to go with the A06B-0502-B002

I run my spindle up to 3500rpm.
    I used a steel Martin xxH150 the xx is the number of slots and the 150 is 1.5" wide.
    Stock drive products have a size/ratio/belt sizing program on their site.
    What size is the motor? 5S or 10S ?
    Martin pulleys should be available from a local bearing transmission supplier.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I got that 20s with the 2500 pulse coder (A06B-0502-B002) with the bad paint I mentioned. It was cheap and the seller had cut the cables so it comes with cable ends--too good to pass up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I also got an a-m-c b30a40ac to drive it
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

So I should be able to run the motor at it's rated 2000rpm. My machine has the 2 hp motor and national 40 spindle that runs 4000 rpm from the factory so if I went with a 2 to 1 pulley ratio I could stick with the factory spindle speed which I know is safe. I'm wondering if I should consider going any faster or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    I run my spindle up to 3500rpm.
    I used a steel Martin xxH150 the xx is the number of slots and the 150 is 1.5" wide.
    Stock drive products have a size/ratio/belt sizing program on their site.
    What size is the motor? 5S or 10S ?
    Martin pulleys should be available from a local bearing transmission supplier.
    Al.

Quote Originally Posted by usfwalden View Post
    I got that 20s with the 2500 pulse coder (A06B-0502-B002) with the bad paint I mentioned. It was cheap and the seller had cut the cables so it comes with cable ends--too good to pass up.
    The MS connectors are worth more than you paid for the motor.
    That is a pretty large motor, you may have to watch the accel/decel rate with that drive to keep under the max. current limit.
    Do you intend using the differential outputs for feedback of some kind?
    Al.

Albert E.

I thought motor stall current was max current?

I'm going to use that converter board from pico to get differential encoder outputs and hall outputs to send to the amc amp and then use the amc amp encoder outputs to send to the dspmc/ip and run a velocity loop in the amc using the encoder feedback inside of a position loop in the dspmc/ip using the encoder feedback.

I am using the same amp on a 5S, the B30A40 is 15amps continuous, 30amps peak.
    Your motor is rated at 3.5Kw 4.6hp.
    At 140v, I would expect the current to be in excess of 20a to see 3.5kw.
    And rapid acell's and decel's usually see some high peaks.
    I have found by experience to use the AMC rating conservatively.
    For some applications in the past I have had to replace with the next size up in order to get the performance without going into over current.
    I have not used the Pico board, but I would think it passes the encoder straight through as it is standard 5v differential, if you use the amp in the Hall velocity feedback, the encoder could go direct to the dspmc.
    Al.

Albert E.

I'm sure a bigger one will pop up on ebay at the right price some day and I may pick it up then but I saw this one and it looked like it would suffice so I went ahead and got it. I figure if it runs 15 amps continuous it aught to run 20 for a pretty long time--hopefully it doesn't prove me too wrong, lol.

3500/146=24 amps
    can motors put out their rated power continuously? If so that would mean it would like 24 amps and thus the 60 amp drive. What is motor stall current?

I am using the same amp on a 5S, the B30A40 is 15amps continuous, 30amps peak.
    Your motor is rated at 3.5Kw 4.6hp.
    At 140v, I would expect the current to be in excess of 20a to see 3.5kw.
    And rapid acell's and decel's usually see some high peaks.
    I have found by experience to use the AMC rating conservatively.
    For some applications in the past I have had to replace with the next size up in order to get the performance without going into over current.
    I have not used the Pico board, but I would think it passes the encoder straight through as it is standard 5v differential, if you use the amp in the Hall velocity feedback, the encoder could go direct to the dspmc.
    Al.

The 20S is rated at 20amp continuous, so this should be equivalent to the continuous stall torque rating.
    Your amp is rated at a 15 amps continuous!
    From experience I would say it is going to go int O.C. as soon as you want to do some fast accel or high load operations.
    Unfortunately I have found that the AMC drives any larger than this on ebay are extremely rare.
    Al.

Albert E.

I guess with that in mind I REALLY shouldn't go any higher than 2 to 1 on the pullies. How does torque hold up at lower rpms? I hope I'm not going to end up having less cutting power at low rpms than I have now with the 2hp motor running 1800 rpms and the varispeed pullies.

The torque curves of most servo motors are max at zero rpm and are fairly flat over the rated rpm range.
    I am not sure what the outcome will be like using the AMC in velocity mode, I mainly use them in conjunction with a Galil card and set them for torque mode of operation, and with the Galil I use the jog command for spindle at so many counts/sec, so basically it is set as a servo but run as a spindle.
    You may have to experiment with different settings.
    Al.

Albert E.

Al.

What do you use to get the hall signals for your amc out of your 5s? Do you by any chance still have the design for the mounting plate you made for the motor on your 602? I'd have to change the pattern for the motor mounting but I'd love to have the design for the profile and bolt pattern to match the mill so I don't have to take it apart to take measurements and then put it back together to machine it.

Before the Pico was available I converted the Fanuc's by fitting one of the NOS Renco commutation encoders off ebay.
    I have the 5S on a lathe, the Excello 602 still has the original 3 ph pancake motor in conjunction with a VFD.
    Al.

Albert E.

Oh, I remember you saying you had put a timing belt on it and assumed that was concurent with a motor change.

Before the Pico was available I converted the Fanuc's by fitting one of the NOS Renco commutation encoders off ebay.
    I have the 5S on a lathe, the Excello 602 still has the original 3 ph pancake motor in conjunction with a VFD.
    Al.

I did remove the Varispeed and put a timing belt on direct to the spindle input to the G.B.
    This gives direct drive on high gear and 6.2:1 on the low gear.
    Al.

Albert E.

I honestly wasn't very impressed with the galil control and amp for the short time I had them installed. Maybe my perceptions are colored by my sore feelings towards galil but I seemed to get a lot more a lot quicker with a few quick pot turns on my a-m-c drives than out of the galil's software settings with documentation scattered thoughout 180 page manual.

The torque curves of most servo motors are max at zero rpm and are fairly flat over the rated rpm range.
    I am not sure what the outcome will be like using the AMC in velocity mode, I mainly use them in conjunction with a Galil card and set them for torque mode of operation, and with the Galil I use the jog command for spindle at so many counts/sec, so basically it is set as a servo but run as a spindle.
    You may have to experiment with different settings.
    Al.

What timing pulley ratio is that? Do you remember the dimensions of the gb input shaft or have the part number of the pulley you fit on it?

I did remove the Varispeed and put a timing belt on direct to the spindle input to the G.B.
    This gives direct drive on high gear and 6.2:1 on the low gear.
    Al.

The GB input shaft measures 1.55" dia.
    The Martin timing pulley's are Motor:18H150, GB:20H150.
    Almost 1:1, IIRC this was to get a suitable centre distance and maintain belt tension.
    I had to fit a 1/2" plate under the motor to raise it slightly.
    I think your Excello is a different model?
    Al.

Albert E.

Thanks that will help. Did you open the gear box and count teeth the figure the gear ratios?

It's a 602 but it looks like Excello manufactured these specifically for Lesnor Maehr along with the position wizard table.

The GB input shaft measures 1.55" dia.
    The Martin timing pulley's are Motor:18H150, GB:20H150.
    Almost 1:1, IIRC this was to get a suitable centre distance and maintain belt tension.
    I had to fit a 1/2" plate under the motor to raise it slightly.
    I think your Excello is a different model?
    Al.

Page 3 of 5 12345