585,667 active members*
4,254 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 5 of 5 345
    I generally use liquid seal flex conduit to run the wiring, So instead of MS 90° I use a 90°
    liquid seal fitting and the MS to conduit adaptors made by T&B (Thomas & Betts).
    Still pricey but works out cheaper than the MS 90's and the wiring is protected.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

how is low rpm torque on induction motors?

I've found a 10hp amc spindle drive they made for fadal which can be configured for either 5krpm max or 7.5krpm max and a fanuc 6s motor which is 5.7kw continuous (7.5hp) 7.5kw 30 min (10hp), 1600rpm continuous 6000rpm 30 min

I'm thinking I could set this combination up with the drive set to the 5k max with 1 to 1 timing pulleys.

The one problem i know of so far is the drive is set up for 1000 line encoder input. The motor has a 2000pulse coder. I guess the easiest thing to do would be to grab the right fanuc pulse coder off ebay. When fanuc lists a 1000 pulse incremental encoder does that mean it's a 1000 line encoder or a 250 line encoder?

Al, what do you think of this set up compared to the 10s servo with the amc b30a40ac drive?

Actually, it looks like the 2000p coder is the lowest count coder they made for the 6s

Does anyone make a conversion board?

I have never used larger than a 5S with a B30A40, I have generally found the limitation to be high accel/decel when pushing the motor size for a particular amp.
    The 1000p is 1000 pulses/rev before x4 multiplier.
    Al.

Albert E.

The drive is huge. It has a dip switch to select for a 10hp or 15hp motor. The question in my mind since I'd be running it 1 to 1 is what is the performance of an induction motor at low rpms compared to a servo motor 1/4 its size?

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    I have never used larger than a 5S with a B20A40, I have generally found the limitation to be high accel/decel when pushing the motor size for a particular amp.
    The 1000p is 1000 pulses/rev before x4 multiplier.
    Al.

I have never experimented down to close to zero like some have with a regular VFD, but I have changed a regular VFD with auto-tune to encoder option, and the result is quite dramatic as regards rpm control.
    For a while now Mitsubishi induction motor spindles have had pulse feedback on the motor and an encoder on the final spindle and these position just like a servo for tool change etc.
    If the drive is huge, that is not the B30A40 I know!.
    Al.

Albert E.

no no no no....the b30a40ac is the drive I would use with the 10s servo motor which is a 2.4hp motor.

The amc drive i am talking about for the fanuc 6s spindle is the spindle drive amc made exclusively for fadal. It is for a 10 or 15hp induction motor. Fadal used it on a lot of their machining centers both with and without rigid tapping.

I have never experimented down to close to zero like some have with a regular VFD, but I have changed a regular VFD with auto-tune to encoder option, and the result is quite dramatic as regards rpm control.
    For a while now Mitsubishi induction motor spindles have had pulse feedback on the motor and an encoder on the final spindle and these position just like a servo for tool change etc.
    If the drive is huge, that is not the B30A40 I know!.
    Al.

Quote Originally Posted by usfwalden View Post
    The amc drive i am talking about for the fanuc 6s spindle is the spindle drive amc made exclusively for fadal.
    Ok, I am not familiar with that one.
    Al.

Albert E.

What bushing did you use on the gb input shaft?

The GB input shaft measures 1.55" dia.
    The Martin timing pulley's are Motor:18H150, GB:20H150.
    Almost 1:1, IIRC this was to get a suitable centre distance and maintain belt tension.
    I had to fit a 1/2" plate under the motor to raise it slightly.
    I think your Excello is a different model?
    Al.

No bushing, I turned the timing pulley out to the shaft size and used the existing keyway.
    Al.

Albert E.

Ah, do you know anything about the bushings that are standard on fanuc servos? I've seen the same type of bushing on a lot of different fanuc servos on ebay so I'm guessing they are a fanuc thing. They have 4 sections. I got my 10s today and it came with a 36 groove pulley mounted on it--probably a 32mm wide 8mm pitch w type belt. I really like the bushing and pulley but was doubting I could fit an 18 groove pulley on the spindle but from what you are saying maybe I can if I get one that doesn't use a bushing.

No bushing, I turned the timing pulley out to the shaft size and used the existing keyway.
    Al.

I think you are talking about taper lock bushing style, these are used where no keyway is provided.
    If you have a keyway it is usually cheaper to go with a plain hub.
    Most of the timing pulleys I get are Martin they supply a taper lock style, there are other makes that supply a larger range of metric sizes, probabally Misumi USA may be one.
    Al.

Albert E.

Page 5 of 5 345