584,800 active members*
4,423 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > how you've seen people get hurt more than once
Page 1 of 2 12

how you've seen people get hurt more than once

the other threads on injuries http://www.cnczone.com/forums/safety...ary_stuff.html with machinery are very interesting and good to learn from, but im wondering if any of you more experienced (or unlucky beginners) have seen people get injured more than once from the same reason or cause..

yes, you can include yourself as one of the victims (i.e. you got hurt then someone else got hurt from doing same thing)

close calls count too..

i wish i could start this off but ive yet to get hurt or see anyone get hurt in a shop

Well I'm a former cabinetmaker, and I know personally three men who lopped their hands off; one on a table saw, one on a radial-arm saw, and one with a biscuit joiner. All three had their hands reattached, save for the kerf....

I had a kickback on the table saw which ruptured my thumb, requiring plastic surgery to reconstruct. I thankfullly regained use... I've seen some horro stories on the lathe, though not personally.

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    Well I'm a former cabinetmaker, and I know personally three men who lopped their hands off; one on a table saw, one on a radial-arm saw, and one with a biscuit joiner. All three had their hands reattached, save for the kerf....

I had a kickback on the table saw which ruptured my thumb, requiring plastic surgery to reconstruct. I thankfullly regained use... I've seen some horro stories on the lathe, though not personally.
    ugh...how did they chop their hands off? whats the mistake? im starting to feel woozy

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    ugh...how did they chop their hands off? whats the mistake? im starting to feel woozy
    First guy was on a scaffold 4 stories above installing cornice molding. He just finished making a cut on the radial arm saw, and i guess the electric brake was shot. He passed a screwdriver to another guy and the head of the saw slid back. We had to stuff everything in his sleeve, tie the sleeve up, and carry him down the scaffolding.

I wasn't around the second time. We shared a cabinet shop with another company. We actually just left, and supposedly this guy (who was a vabinetmaker of 20 years) was doing a drop-cut on a piece of plywood (this is when a sheet is dropped onto the blade to cut a rectangular hole in the middle of the sheet) and must have forgotten where the blade was as he pushed down. It was actually his four left fingers that were cut. He lost his fourth finger because the doctor couldn't find the bone at the shop. What sucks is we found it later while cleaning up the mess. I think it may still be in one of our storage boxes....

The last incident actually happened to my former business partner. He was building simple cabinets, using biscuits for the fixed shelving. Normally you use two hands with a biscuit joiner, but he was using his other hand to hold the partition (a board is usually clamped to the partition to "guide" the biscuit joiner's base so all cuts are co-planar.) He didn't let the motor get up to speed and when he pushed down, the cutter head grabbed and kicked back, and he then plunged the cutter right into his wrist.

I can go on and on and on with personal as well as other injuries, but it's breakfast time!

I've seen a guy run his thumb into a table saw, luckily the blade was only up 1/8". Another got a couple fingers mangled in a dado head.

Several times I've seen pneumatic pinners shoot pins into guys fingers. If the pin hits a knot or hard spot, it will sometimes turn out of the wood and come out to where your fingers are holding the joint together. Once the pin was stuck in the guys bone and he grabbed it with vise grips and pulled it out.

Locally there was a guy standing behind a table saw and the strip he was ripping got bound up between the fence and the blade and it shot right through his abdomen. He was walking around the shop with an 8ft stick through him. I guess it missed the major stuff and they got him patched up.

Lots of fun ways to hurt yourself in a woodshop!

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    I
    Locally there was a guy standing behind a table saw and the strip he was ripping got bound up between the fence and the blade and it shot right through his abdomen.
    ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I've seen a guy run his thumb into a table saw, luckily the blade was only up 1/8". Another got a couple fingers mangled in a dado head.

Several times I've seen pneumatic pinners shoot pins into guys fingers. If the pin hits a knot or hard spot, it will sometimes turn out of the wood and come out to where your fingers are holding the joint together. Once the pin was stuck in the guys bone and he grabbed it with vise grips and pulled it out.

Locally there was a guy standing behind a table saw and the strip he was ripping got bound up between the fence and the blade and it shot right through his abdomen. He was walking around the shop with an 8ft stick through him. I guess it missed the major stuff and they got him patched up.

Lots of fun ways to hurt yourself in a woodshop!
    I mangled my right thimb on the tablesaw, using a molding head cutter with the fence to the LEFT. I had a kickback, no push stick, and the piece of molding flew back about 75 feet and shattered against the wall, taking a small chunk of thumb with it! I almost had to walk a mile to the hospital but luckily I ran into a buddy in an adjacent shop. I'm fixed up now (it was 14 years ago) but I lost feeling to one half of my thumb and part of my index finger. So I really have to be careful because I won't feel another cut right away. In fact then, all I felt was something warm dripping on my palm.

I've also been the victim of errant nails from nail guns and pinners, especially when doing oak molding. I know one guy who clipped the tip of his figer off ot the first joint on a jointer, another who had an abrasive wheel shatter and lodge inhis face trying to sharpen a chisel with an angle grinder... I also knew a guy that worked at an auto mechanic shop nearby, working on a fuel line, and stupidnly brought an incandescent bulb under with him. I think he went through over a year of skin grafts from teh burns...

Why did I start reading this thread? ****ty thing is the running away with ears covered yelling "I cant hear you" is not working this time. Only think I have ever hurt bad is squishing a middle finger between the sharp edge of 6" pipe and a piece of 1" pipe, and it to this day does not feel anything and is wider then the rest of it. Knock on wood or metal I've never been hurt bad.....someones watching over me!

Quote Originally Posted by xjdubber View Post
    Why did I start reading this thread? ****ty thing is the running away with ears covered yelling "I cant hear you" is not working this time. Only think I have ever hurt bad is squishing a middle finger between the sharp edge of 6" pipe and a piece of 1" pipe, and it to this day does not feel anything and is wider then the rest of it. Knock on wood or metal I've never been hurt bad.....someones watching over me!
    i cant decide if i feel lame because its so wimpy or smart/careful because i havent been hurt worse, but my worst injury to date was almost 15 years ago..i was cutting the balsa wood for spars of an rc airplane..i had the balsa wood on the edge of the table and i was sitting in a chair, cutting with the exacto knife towards me, against the grain..suddenly the blade slipped. i looked at my hand and it had a surgically perfect cut in the webbing between your thumb and index finger, about 3/4" long. i moved my thumb and i could see inside..it was a black hole and inside were the little fat flobules..ughhhh..i went outside and laid down on the cold concrete for awhile as the sight of that just disturbed me . it didnt really bleed at all and was healed in about two weeks with just a band-aid..i think its because the blade was brand new and the cut was so clean

i cant decide if i feel lame because its so wimpy or smart/careful because i havent been hurt worse, but my worst injury to date was almost 15 years ago..i was cutting the balsa wood for spars of an rc airplane..i had the balsa wood on the edge of the table and i was sitting in a chair, cutting with the exacto knife towards me, against the grain..suddenly the blade slipped. i looked at my hand and it had a surgically perfect cut in the webbing between your thumb and index finger, about 3/4" long. i moved my thumb and i could see inside..it was a black hole and inside were the little fat flobules..ughhhh..i went outside and laid down on the cold concrete for awhile as the sight of that just disturbed me . it didnt really bleed at all and was healed in about two weeks with just a band-aid..i think its because the blade was brand new and the cut was so clean
    My brother (6'5" 325lb or so) smashed his finger one time. He came out to tell me and dad about it and started getting a little dizzy. I saw his eyes roll back in his head and did what I (6' 175lb) could to slow his fall to the concrete floor. He came to once he was on the floor. I too, have seen bits of my innerds that I should not see and it bothers me much more than seeing someone elses innerds.

Watched my brother take a chunk out of the back of his hand once. He was chopping a log with a SHARP Fiskars type hatchet. The hatchet bounced off the log and right into the back of his bare hand he was holding the log with. Laid it open pretty good, maybe a 3" long C shaped cut. Luckily there was some fat there so it didn't get down to the tendons or major blood vessels.

Other than when I was wrestling drunk and broke my leg, the worst I've had was four stitches in a finger due to a rusty muffler.

My brother (6'5" 325lb or so) smashed his finger one time. He came out to tell me and dad about it and started getting a little dizzy. I saw his eyes roll back in his head and did what I (6' 175lb) could to slow his fall to the concrete floor. He came to once he was on the floor. I too, have seen bits of my innerds that I should not see and it bothers me much more than seeing someone elses innerds.

Other than when I was wrestling drunk and broke my leg, the worst I've had was four stitches in a finger due to a rusty muffler.
    yer not going to tell us about the innerds you saw?

It wasn't major, but it still got me feeling queasy. I don't remember exactly how I did it but I smacked my wrist on something sharp and it busted open a big gash. When I moved my thumb, I could see the tissue around my tendons tighten up and wiggle. It probably should have gotten a couple stitches but I just threw a bandaid on it. Might be why there is a big scar there now.

shudddupp!!

Watched my brother take a chunk out of the back of his hand once. He was chopping a log with a SHARP Fiskars type hatchet. The hatchet bounced off the log and right into the back of his bare hand he was holding the log with. Laid it open pretty good, maybe a 3" long C shaped cut. Luckily there was some fat there so it didn't get down to the tendons or major blood vessels.

When I injured my thumb I saw the bone of the thumb and what look like nerves, probably why I didn't feel much. When I finally got operated on (the surgeon was doing a breast augmentation beforehand) he asked me if I wanted to be "put out." I told him I'll just close my eyes since they shot novocaine all over the base of my thumb. A half hour in, I hear the conversation between the doctor and his assistant:

Doctor: "Wow, that's gnarly..."
    Assistant: "What is that?"
    Doctor: "Those are the nerves of his thumb..."
    Assistant: "What will we do with that?"
    Doctor: "I guess it's dog meat..."

At that point I opened my eyes and I was crying with laughter. The doctor and assistant must've forgotten I wasn't under anesthesia, and they both jumped off their chairs! A very weird moment...

Assistant: "What will we do with that?"
    Doctor: "I guess it's dog meat..."
    wtf lol..what a weird thing to say

wtf lol..what a weird thing to say
    You'd be surprised at the conversations that go on in an OR when they think no one is listening.

You'd be surprised at the conversations that go on in an OR when they think no one is listening.
    It's the same thing with first responders, EMS workers, crime investigators... there's no real intent of insult, but these people see this all the time and have to desensitize themselves, otherwise they'd go mad. I used to help a friend who was a tow truck driver, and we'd respond at an accident scene, and needless to say there had been some not-so-pleasant sights. But you can't let it get to you, otherwise it will take you over.

In the woodworking section we had an argument with one member who insisted using gloves near a drill press was fine as long as care was taken (which everyone else agreed was WRONG), then someone posted a link to a lathe accident. I'll spare the gory details, but I don't think I've ever been the same since seeing the photos - and I've seen some pretty gory stuff.

We had a forklift accident at work this week. It goes like this- a man takes a dump dumpster full of steel out to the roll off dumpster. As he raises the load up high enough to drive up to the dumpster he sees a baby kitten in his path. He stopped, got off the lift, and went to move the kitten. This is when he gets hurt. What happened- steel fell on him, nope. Dumpsters falls on him, nope. Forklift rolls and crushes him, nope. Let me remind you this is OSHA recordable because the man was hospitalized. So, what happened? He was attacked by the mother cat, he had to go in for cuts and bites, now he has to go in for rabies shots and such. Even our plant manager had to laugh at this one.

Quote Originally Posted by tatinc2000 View Post
    We had a forklift accident at work this week. It goes like this- a man takes a dump dumpster full of steel out to the roll off dumpster. As he raises the load up high enough to drive up to the dumpster he sees a baby kitten in his path. He stopped, got off the lift, and went to move the kitten. This is when he gets hurt. What happened- steel fell on him, nope. Dumpsters falls on him, nope. Forklift rolls and crushes him, nope. Let me remind you this is OSHA recordable because the man was hospitalized. So, what happened? He was attacked by the mother cat, he had to go in for cuts and bites, now he has to go in for rabies shots and such. Even our plant manager had to laugh at this one.

lol i have to admit you got me on this one

- - - Updated - - -

It's the same thing with first responders, EMS workers, crime investigators... there's no real intent of insult, but these people see this all the time and have to desensitize themselves, otherwise they'd go mad. I used to help a friend who was a tow truck driver, and we'd respond at an accident scene, and needless to say there had been some not-so-pleasant sights. But you can't let it get to you, otherwise it will take you over.

In the woodworking section we had an argument with one member who insisted using gloves near a drill press was fine as long as care was taken (which everyone else agreed was WRONG), then someone posted a link to a lathe accident. I'll spare the gory details, but I don't think I've ever been the same since seeing the photos - and I've seen some pretty gory stuff.
    can you describe the lathe pictures so i dont have to go looking for it and get traumatized

btw...what is the most common way to hurt yourself on a lathe?

can you describe the lathe pictures so i dont have to go looking for it and get traumatized

btw...what is the most common way to hurt yourself on a lathe?
    The worst pictures I've seen on the net are of a guy who was polishing a 3" or so shaft in a big 18-24" lathe. His flannel shirt sleeve got wrapped up on the shaft and it pulled his upper half between the bed and the shaft. There was not enough room between them for an intact human head to fit. The chuck did a number on his shoulder area, woodchipper style. Needless to say he did not make it. The pictures are quite gruesome.

The most common serious injury on a lathe is getting something caught and getting sucked in. Gloves, shirts, pony tails, etc. The lucky ones only loose a finger/hand/arm. Grabbing hold of some sharp swarf and it getting pulled through your hand will also do some damage. I think those are the biggies. Also have to look out for a part that comes loose due to a crash or too aggressive cut.

Page 1 of 2 12