585,729 active members*
4,621 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Why go for x2/x3?

It seems that the smaller bench top cnc packages are very expensive in comparison with the likes of the Chinese 6040 type with the only advantage being extra Z travel. Many of the smaller ones look so flexible in the z that I wouldn't be surprised if the Chinese machines actually performed better on materials like alu or softer steels. Why do people still go for the other options? I'm considering a 6040 just now but I'm a bit bothered by the other unknown. Not too worried about lack of support, I just want a nice capable machine and other than the restricted z travel the 6040 seems Ok? Plenty of folk machining alu and potential to flood it to improve further?

Thoughts?

wklaserliu Guest
    hi Dear,

I am QUiven form G.weike laser, , leading manugactuer of laser engraving machine since 2004

dear 6040 laser engraver with up&dow table 38cm , so this is waht you said Z axis ,dear this is mid model in laser, really betetr than smallest laser like waht you said , yes 6040 is ok,

here check our LG6040 link : LG6040 laser engraver-Laser engraving machines-Products-Laser engraving machine|Laser cutting machine|CNC router-G.Weike Laser this link will helpful for you i htink, if you like any thing from me, you could aslo talk me private :

[email protected]

Quiven Liu

A 6040 won't cut steel and it's very slow in cutting aluminium.
    My X2 will handle both without complaint - not CNC yet though.
    Regards
    Geoff

I've watched a few YouTube videos of folk cutting aluminium at what seems like plenty high enough speed and fairly deep cuts?

This is why machined in steel . (4:14). The X2 isnt a good mill to use as a comparison either thats an entry level mill.
    iMachining By SolidCAM. Amazing Machining (Steel) - YouTube

Was that an X3?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk now Free

i want to try this supplier, did you know this guy from Canton city ? one of my friend in France once purchased from him for laser marking machine.you can check: China professional manufacturer of laser machine and cnc router.

Quote Originally Posted by coyoteboy View Post
    Was that an X3?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk now Free
    That is pretty quick in comparison with the 6040 types but if you're not looking for all out speed for £/min, the capabilities seem an awful lot closer and the huge work area is useful.

Hmmm back to indecision!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmIa...e_gdata_player Shows a 3040 doing a reasonable job on 6082, unless I'm mistaken?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

The sound and finish in that video is disgusting. Chatter everywhere.

No aluminium extrusion gantry router will do a decent job in aluminium. If you took calipers to that part I'd be surprised if it was within 0.010".

Gantry routers are great for a lot of things, but in no way do they replace milling machines. You will understand once you get one.

Yeah it's not pretty I admit but they depends on the accuracy and finish you actually need. Mind you, why start off crippled.

It seems that the smaller bench top cnc packages are very expensive in comparison with the likes of the Chinese 6040 type with the only advantage being extra Z travel. Many of the smaller ones look so flexible in the z that I wouldn't be surprised if the Chinese machines actually performed better on materials like alu or softer steels. Why do people still go for the other options? I'm considering a 6040 just now but I'm a bit bothered by the other unknown. Not too worried about lack of support, I just want a nice capable machine and other than the restricted z travel the 6040 seems Ok? Plenty of folk machining alu and potential to flood it to improve further?

Thoughts?

if you want to cut wood , buy a router
    if you want to cut metal , buy a mill
    Simple !
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    if you want to cut wood , buy a router
    if you want to cut metal , buy a mill
    Simple !
    It's not really that simple, as plenty of the low end mills in the same price range offer similarly noodly performance but with a smaller work area, from what I can see. Sure you can have better performance but in that range it all seems not great

sounds like you have already decided and are trying to convince US to buy a 6040. you are trying to compare it to an x2 or x3 but there are big differences between those two machines but both have a lot more useful z, have lower speed spindles more suited to cutting steel, can use r8 tooling, can actually be used with drill bits to drill holes, can use larger endmills and facemills for surfacing a part, can use a decent sized vise for material holding, can use a rotary table horizontally or vertically, can support a much heavier part on the table, can use the popular tormach tooling system holders with power drawbars and atc's, can put a small chuck in the spindle and use it like a lathe. if none of this appeals to you then by all means get your 6040 router.
    walt

It's not really that simple, as plenty of the low end mills in the same price range offer similarly noodly performance but with a smaller work area, from what I can see. Sure you can have better performance but in that range it all seems not great
    ya it is that simple . routers are made for cutting wood , mills are made for cutting metal , it is what it is .
    Just because some idiot in china wants to call a router a mill - it doesn't mean it is one .
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Ok I'm convinced. Now is just time to identify which proper mill I want to buy and convert.

Buy the best you can afford. Consider used commercial equipment too.

Hard to find usable used equipment around here for some reason, lots in the South but I would want to see the thing first to check condition. I'm also a bit limited on space but if I saw a bargain I'd probably find a way. What concerns me with large commercial kit is I probably couldn't afford spares if I bought a dud.

three things that you need to conciser
    1/ what is it that you need a mill for
    2/ what size of mill do you need to accomplish what you want
    3/ can you afford it or does it become another pipe dream that we all have in our own different ways .

If price is the issue , then your probably in the same boat as most of us . The thing is that if most of us only bought what we could afford , then most of us would have a big useless turd . Sometimes it's a matter of having to bite the bullet and go above and beyond or be patient and do some additional saving

Yep, I've got a number of expensive hobbies where the sky is the limit but you have to draw a line somewhere. For me, I'm part way through designing and building a car from the ground up, Buying what I can off the shelf but building what I can too. Something that can produce parts around 200x150x100 max from 6082 is about all I need. Bigger would be excellent but isn't critical. Part of the fun is the doing.