584,805 active members*
5,350 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Single Axis Positioner

I'm looking for a single axis positioner. Something thats not pc based. I'm looking to make a backstop for my chopsaw. Eaton Cutlerhammer makes a controler but the cost is $800.

are you talking about an adjustable guide to butt your stock up to when cutting multiple pieces? If so, why are you wanting an electronic version? I've seen very good, very easy to use (read: fast) mechanical stops. Most of the time these are used on sheet metal shears, and have incremented guide rods that stick out, with knobs to quickly adjust the length and a locking mechanism to keep the stop in place once adjusted. I fail to see how an electronic version would be much faster, unless you are adjusting from 1"-20' or some huge range like that.

If you are dead-set on an electronic version, I would think that an acme screw driven by a servo motor should work fine. For cutting with a chopsaw, I doubt if you would even care about the backlash in your acme nut/screw assembly. Your desired input could be set with an N-turn pot., I'm not sure what controller you would use, but I'm sure they're available. Heck, an open loop system may even be accurate enough... I'm just rambling now. Let us know more of your needs, I'm almost sure we can find/make something cheaper than $800.
    My name is Electric Nachos. Sorry to impose, but I am the ocean.
    http://www.bryanpryor.com

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

A mechanical stop would work just fine for a chopsaw. I'm thinking more for a replacement for the cutlerhammer positioner. As a way of cutting the cost's of building back stops for shears or pressbrakes or even bandsaws.

In Home Shop Machinist magazine there is a company advertising a unit called the FROG, which seems to be just the thing you are looking for. They have a unit that will drive a supplied stepper, or a unit that will send step and direction for a Gecko type driver application and your motor. The cost is at $200.00.
    We are open 24hrs. - just not in a row.

We are open 24hrs. - just not in a row.