585,754 active members*
4,674 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Chinese Machines > 3040Z Stepper Motors creeping with spindle motor spun.

3040Z Stepper Motors creeping with spindle motor spun.

Hi guys,
    I bought this system about 2 months ago but never had it working. Using Mach3 demo at this point and I can drive all axis with my keyboard, can also run any G code program without the spindle spun.
    As soon as I start the spindle motor, the whole M/C (i.e. all three stepper motors) start to creep violently.
    I've tried with different computer, different parallel cable and even earth all components to 1 same point. NOTHING WORKs.
    Having this issue from day one when bought this M/C. The seller did not know what was wrong, but they replaced me with the new VFD and new water cooled spindle motor.
    Have noticed that, problem stops as soon as I disconnect the parallel cable going from computer to the stepper motors control box (blue box)

Any1 have had this problem before or if you know what went wrong there, can you please shine me some lights. much appreciated

I had the same problem until the cables were replaced with shielded cables. Exactly the same. replace the three axis cables and I'd start with the spindle cable, there is no ground on the existing cable. Good luck and let us know how you end up

Quote Originally Posted by Alwaysintheknow View Post
    replace the three axis cables and I'd start with the spindle cable, there is no ground on the existing cable
    Thanks for replying, do you mean change all cables to shielded ( 3 servo cables and Spindle cable)?
    I appreciate your help greatly,
    Cheers,:cheers:

If you have the same machine as I do, it has stepper motors, not servos. I would change them all. I couldn't get a good cut until they were replaced. The stepper motors have 18 gauge wires (at least mine does) and so does the spindle. The spindle has a pin for a ground, use it. Make sure that the power source is unplugged. Connect the green wire (pin 1 on my machine) all the way to the VFD's ground lug. Make sure that the power cord's green ground wire is connected inside the VFD. Mine was not. And the water pump. Useless! I've run the spindle for 12 hours and it just doesn't get hot.

Good luck, it just takes some patience to get the gremlins out of these machines.

Got mine fixed today. Went and changed all 3 stepper motors' leads to shielded in the weekend but it did not fix. Last night, I decided to sleeve my spindle motor's cable with stainless braided tube and earth it to pin 1 of the VFD. Straight away, everything runs smoothly.
    I had my original spindle motor and VFD changed due to an issue with the default setting that caused the motor to burn. The spindle motor i'm having now has only 3 pin connector (not 4pins like the original).

Much appreciate your help,

Once again, Thank you very much.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	115 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	205268

Re: 3040Z Stepper Motors creeping with spindle motor spun.

I had the same problem that I discovered when I ran the spindle speed up to mill some brass. I know this is an old thread but for what it's worth I shielded the spindle motor cable with no improvement. Shielding the stepper cables doesn't make sense to me as the motors are very low impedance so I checked the grounds on the controller boards and that was my problem. I ran separate ground wires from each controller back to the breakout board ground and tied it to the negative on the power supply. It is working fine now.