584,805 active members*
4,916 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > ViaCad / Shark > ViaCAD Pro 9 Beta Invite (PC/Mac)
Page 2 of 2 12
    downloading the v9 trial..

burrman
    download this piggy zip.. the file is unsubdivided mesh

make 2-3 mightbe 4 subdivision.. youll be surprised how smooth is it..

after subdividing you can convert stl and that also will be smooth

each subdividing makes file 4x times larger.. so just be careful..

Quote Originally Posted by victorofga View Post
    downloading the v9 trial..

burrman
    download this piggy zip.. the file is unsubdivided mesh

make 2-3 mightbe 4 subdivision.. youll be surprised how smooth is it..

after subdividing you can convert stl and that also will be smooth

each subdividing makes file 4x times larger.. so just be careful..
    Hi Victor,
    The piggy subdivided well. I went to level 4. It does 3 fine, but 4 starts to choke a little. I would like to see the 64 bit trickle down to the pc version, as they have it compiled for the mac now.

Also, the pc version is a little behind in builds too. I want to wait and see how the updates come into the pc version too.

I'm not sure this is the subD replacement I've been looking for.

v9 is no longer beta....?
    can someone list out the new stuff or enhancements in v9 Pro vs v8 Pro? how stable is v9 on Windoze XP or 7 ??

Levictus:

This is what was discovered recently. Just received a beta of Shark V9 for a PC build 1108 and have not used it. Worked with V9 build 1105 and was impressed with how it handled solid models. Todd at the Encore help site suggested to go into shade options and change the Dynamic shading to wireframe, to reduce the amount of memory needed to move an item on the screen.

Worked with V9 beta for about 3.5 hours before it crashed, V8 would crash in about 30 minutes. The computer used is an old HP with minimal memory and can crash a program in a heart beat. The crashing is believed to be from memory overloading the computer memory, mostly from dragging object on the screen. It is not the drivers or the computer, it is not the video cards, it is the software built to run on a software operation system. Currently some companies are converting the software from 32 bit to 64 bit which should help with the stability of the programs. If you read about the problems of CAD programs, all CAD programs have problems, their software is built around an operating system of software, a formidable task. From inquires I was told that Encore has less problems with Apple than with the PC.

A CAM program that I use has the exact same syndrome of crashing except very infrequently, however is simple cad compared to Shark CAD.

Viacad is the same program with less bells and whistles, just as capable for the intended use.

As for the price of the software, hunt the web for a closeout sale, or discounts. Encore sometimes provides coupon codes for discounts. CAD is expensive and every dollar saved helps. I can not afford the maintenance costs of CAD/CAM so here I stay and this is a bargain and admit the program is fun to use.

Many times I vow to abandon Shark and hunt for another CAD software only to return to Shark FX because it is easy to use.

Tgoy

tgoy,
    you mention versions newer than what i have. v9 build 1104 is the latest ViaCAD Pro when the application checks for something newer. what is the latest build??

Page 2 of 2 12