585,883 active members*
4,599 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > General Off Topic Discussions > buying cnc for carving wood and styrofoam

buying cnc for carving wood and styrofoam

hi i am new in cnc i understand a the basics and i recently found a second hand cnc machine that i want to buy this aret he info and also some picture , is this a suitable machine ?

how much should i spent to buy this ?

ISEL flatbed with 1350 x 1000 mm clamping surface .
    The travel distance is 860 x 790 mm, aperture height is 190 mm, Vefahrweg the installed Z-axis is 175 mm.
    The machine is equipped with 5 mm pitch on all axes , the Z - axis magnetic brake with ball screws .

Control: ISEL C142 stepper motor controller with adapter card for clock and direction signals .
    The original processor card and de original software is available and is mitversteigert , as is visible in the photos Accessories
    ( Kress milling spindle , cable chain , fixtures ) . Cabinets , etc. are not included.

The software cnc-Graf V4 with SMC4D USB ​​controller

the machine its a completely custom setup. Mechanics from ISEL, USB controller and Software cnc Graf, all connected through adapter card

Re: buying cnc for carving wood and styrofoam

Hello,
    if you decided to purchase a milling machine? If so, I have a question, could you send me an e-mail program (visible in the pictures - floppy disk) I5DRV? The program, which owned (after purchasing the milling machine) was destroyed along with the computer. The company ISEL unfortunately does not have this program in their archives. I learned that the copy of the program in such a case would NOT be computer piracy.

Best regards
    [email protected]

There is a similar Isel gantry machine on eBay right now, listed for $1,950. It has servos instead of steppers like the one that you are looking at, although it is not clear from the eBay listing if all the controller components are included. Techno Isel servo systems are considered very good. Search eBay for "Isel automation" since the machine is listed as used lab equipment instead of as a CNC machine. It would need to have a router or spindle added. It looks like a very clean machine.

I have a larger, but similar type of Isel flatbed Gantry Model 130 with a travel distance: 1000mm x 1300mm x 300mm. Mine has the taller gantry. I use it for making complicated HDU foam molds for concrete artwork. I bought it on eBay last November for $3,000 and $600 in shipping costs. My machine came with cable chains, a 3.25hp Porter Cable router, and the mounting bracket for the Z axis, all of which I would have had to buy at a cost of around $600. My machine also came with an identical steel tube base frame as yours -- it makes a very solid base. Since one of the Isel motors was damaged and the controller missing, I retrofitted it with new 380 in.oz. stepper motors, a Gecko 540 controller and Mach3 software at a cost of around $750 in parts and software. The new motors bolted right on so I installed them myself. So my completed CNC machine cost me around $4,350.

This is my third CNC machine. I am glad that I have it! I think the Isel mechanical components are outstanding. Reading the Techno Isel catalogs and technical data, the ball screws are estimated to have a life of 35,000 hours. Our older machines that had light use in the past have many years of accurate performance left in the future.

The machine you are looking at appears very clean which I always like to see in a used machine. I am not familiar with the GRAF software or the Isel controller. Maybe someone else will comment on those.

Hope this helps. Wishing you success.

Bob

I forgot to add that the machine you are looking at is well suited for wood and styrofoam materials. It will even cut aluminum if you take very light cuts.

Bob

Hi Nawet,

Techno Isel USA still has technical support pages online with software to download and lots of information about the different machines. Support Topics An email to the Techno Isel support has

Here is a link to the download page for the drivers Techno CNC Router Software - Customer Support - Troubleshooting Guides I am not sure if the "CNC Servo G-Code Interface" includes the I5DRV file but it is worth a try. The "DaVinci Stepper G-Code Interface" may include the I5DRV file.

Here is a link to the operating manual for a different machine that uses the same software with I5DRV. http://www.cnc.info.pl//files/cpm_360.pdf Beginning on page 13, the manual explains how to load the software onto your computer and set up the parameters. It should be similar to your machine.

If the download files do not include the I5DRV file, an email to the Techno Isel support asking for the file should get you what you need.

Bob

Nawet,

I do not have software because the used Isel CNC machine that I purchased did not come with the Isel controller or software. I use Mach3 software to run a Gecko 540 controller.

Bob

Hello,
    thank you very much for your quick reply. I will take all the advice that you gave me. I wish you success in your work.

Regards,
    Jacek