584,800 active members*
4,468 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

414 servo alarm

We have a mori seiki frontier Lathe that give an intermittent 414 servo alarm, we have changed the Cpu board, Meged the motors, replaced the servo Amplifier and still no luck. Sometimes it will run for a couple days and the next it won't run at all. The alarm switches from a 8 to a 9 on the servo amp. Any other ideas that we could try? Thanks

Hi glp,
    sounds like we need a little more info... what brand and type of servo? The NC alarm of 414 tells me fanuc nc and Mori's usually have fanuc's amplifiers but I've seen both Yaskawa and Mitsubishi servo and spindles on them sometimes.
    Assuming a later model fanuc - in my fanuc alpha series servo manual it says an 8 and 9 alarm is a short in one place or another, but I need to confirm the type of servo amp.
    Youve changed boards and amps - did you swap from another machine, get them from manufacturer or repair shop?

Bill Gorz

The servo amps on the machine are fanuc, we purchased the amp and the boards from a re-manufacture shop. We are going to replace the spindle motor fan next, this is in line with the servo amp on the electrical diagram.hopefully this solves the problem. Any other ideas?

I suppose if the spindle fan is inducing a lot of noise on the line it might cause a problem in the servo drive. Especially if you have the kind of servo/spindle/power supply where they are all side by side and the power supply sends DC voltage to the spindle and servo amps on big busbars - like on a fanuc alpha series. but you didn't say which model the servo unit was or which type of fanuc nc.
    Over all that explanation seems a little unlikely, but its easy to check - if you don't have a new fan on hand just unplug it and run it without. Of course you should not put any big load on the spindle or run it very fast. Just dry run the machine with no actual part being made and see what happens.
    On systems like that (side by side supply/servo/spindle) the power supply causes lots of types of problems that seem like they originate in either the spindle or axis drive.
    Good luck.

Fanuc 21T on MOST frontiers, Is this a FL1 or FL2?
    Does the alarm happen at power on, or during running?
    What axis?

Don't waste your money for a spindle fan, if its running its probably fine.

It is a fl1 and it has the msc521 controller (not sure if it is the same as the 21t) It happen sometime when power up and sometimes while running. it seems to happen most often when powering up. I can run it sometimes for hours then power down and then back up, then it will throw the 414 alarm. The alarm will switch from the x axis to the z axis. sometimes it is in the 201 in the diagnostics page and sometimes the alarm will be on the 204 diagnostics page.

yes, its a Fanuc 21

Alarm 8 indicates overcurrent, as im sure you know. If it does it on power up then it is either a drive or the drive power supply. Most likely the drive. Id be suspect on the third party "repair" of this drive. FL1 can be early enough to have the S series or alpha series drives. Is this a 2 in one drive or individual axis drives?

This has the alpha drives, there is a power supply amp, spindle amp and a servo amp, i am not sure what you mean by a 2 in one axis or individual axis drive. We are going to try the fan on Monday (we had already ordered it). if this doesn't work we will lean towards a different drive. Thanks for your input.

Check your servo cables from drivers to servo motors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Ok will do, would this make the error switch from the x to the z?

Yes

Enviado desde mi GT-I9300 mediante Tapatalk

414 its for X axys check the servo cable in my control is JF1

Enviado desde mi GT-I9300 mediante Tapatalk

You will have
    power supply-spindle drive-X axis drive-Zaxis drive
    or
    Power supply-spindle drive-combo X and Z (single unit)

Alarm 8 during power up sequence (displayed on the drive) before releasing emergency stop indicates a drive.. Alarm 8 after clearing Estop indicates bad motor/cable/axis problem.

changed out the fan, this didn't help any, might have to try to get different axis drive and see if we received a faulty one, it just seems hard to believe that we would receive a drive that would give the same alarms that we were having with the original one. we didn't have it repaired it was actually swapped out with a replacement.