584,860 active members*
4,987 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Using a higher amp stepper than driver is rated for question

Question Using a higher amp stepper than driver is rated for question

This is more or less the same question I posted in the Xylotex forum, sorry.

I am considering some large stepper motors (two types - around 2-3V and 4 or 8A) and am wondering if they would work Ok with my driver board that will supply 2.5 A (Xylotex).

Will I just lose out on the added torque the higher current would give, or are their other cons as well?

If I could I'd like to get these motors so I could just upgrade the drivers later...

Thanks guys,

James

If the drivers have mosfet transistors, you might be able to retrofit them with higher current fets for a small premium and a bit of crafting.

Since fets pretty much all use Vgs values of 20vdc max, simply installing a one with a larger current capacity can often be done.

Example: BUZ10s can easily be replaced with IRFZ40's. and the device would never know the difference - been there, done that.

Ultimately, it depends on the pass elements and the driver circuitry but stranger/dumber things have been done and gotten away with.....

OK, disregard my question above. I'm going to go with the Automationdirect 276 oz motors...

James