585,759 active members*
3,944 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Having trouble getting files from thingiverse to work in cam software.

Having trouble getting files from thingiverse to work in cam software.

I've been able to get dxf files to work in Pycam and Cambam. I've been able to get the g-code and successfully run parts. But when I try to load a STL file from Thingiverse into Pycam it won't load at all. When I try loading the same STL file into Cambam, it will load but when I try to generate the tool path it says "Warning! Can not convert surface to region or polyline". I realize the stuff on thingiverse is really meant for 3d printing, but has anyone reading this successfully machined STL files from that place? Thanks

Is it possible that they are ASCII format and you need Binary format? I find most CAM software does not play well with ASCII (I think Meshcam does, but can't remember for sure). Maybe you could open it in CAD first, then resave it to a more compatible format?

Thanks mmoe! Maybe that's what the problem is. How do I know if it's an ASCII format?

I'm not entirely sure how you would know just by looking at the file, but I'll put a video up for you on how to open an ASCII and convert it to Binary using a free software later tonight. When you open it, you'll notice that it says ASCII or Binary, so I can tell at that point, but I wouldn't know until I try to open one.

ALright great! Thanks in advance!

Here's a link to the process. I don't really have the fancy stuff to put voice over on there, so I'm going to describe what to do.

First, I found this software, Cloud Compare, a while back and I think its the bees knees for anything to do with meshes or point clouds (plus it's open source). It's really meant to be used for scientific comparisons, but it can handle some serious meshes and let you do some cropping and other things that are just difficult to handle for other CAD systems. I highly recommend learning the basics with it if you deal with STL files on a regular basis. One of the key fundamentals is that you have to first select the "part" in the tree in the left window before you can do anything with it, including saving it. Once you get used to this, it's kind of a habit, but until you do it's easy to forget. The thing is that it can have many, many different parts open simultaneously and it's meant to compare them, so telling it which part you want it to deal with is logical given it's intended purpose.

So, once you have Cloud Compare installed, you open your STL file just like you would open any other file in a program. Easy so far! If you have good eyes, or a large mesh, or a slow computer, you'll be able to see a dialog box that will say something like "Opening ASCII" or "Opening Binary". That should make it obvious which one you have at that point. Assuming you have an ASCII and want to convert it to a Binary, you need to click on the lowest part level in the tree window to the left, which will make the actual mesh active for working with. Now, it's as simple as saving the file. Once you are done naming it, locating the destination folder and have clicked on "Save"; a dialog box will come up that says "Save in Binary or ASCII Format?". Here you would click on "Binary" and the file will be saved in that format. In the video, you'll see that I had to click on "Binary" quite a few times. This was caused by the screen recorder which kind of messes with the software during use. Normally, it catches the first click and works fine.

Binary ASCII STL Conversion - YouTube

Cloud Compare is really capable of a whole lot more, and perhaps in the future I'll put together some videos of how it can be used as a way to handle and modify meshes that other software chokes on. Feel free to follow my Youtube and eventually I'll get it done. I really need to figure out some sort of microphone since it would be much better if I could narrate what's happening, so I'll be looking into that soon. Otherwise, hope it helps!

Here's a link to the Cloud Compare download:
    CloudCompare - Open Source project

I'll be upfront about saying that I have absolutely no ties to the developer of Cloud Compare and for that matter have never even emailed or communicated with them. There's a lot of cool software out there like this that gets developed which makes our life easier. If any of you, since I know many read these forums, find the software useful and can afford to, I highly recommend donating something via their fundraising button. I absolutely did and probably will give them more from time to time as I remember how much simpler my life is with it than without it. The software may be free to use, but there's a lot of dedication behind it on the developer's end.

If you open the .stl file in Notepad, you can tell if it's ASCII or binary. You'll be able to read an ASCII file, which will just be basically a list of points. A binary format file will have a lot of strange characters and won't make any sense.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks mmoe! Thanks Gerry! Have to go to work now but I'll look at that vid and try all this when I get back.

Been so busy have not had time to come in here. But anyway I guess this would be part of a binary format?

"STLB ASM 216.00.00.5110 ¨0 ÍwM=-øó>³`?þg@9Ø=¸I/?fff@ ú×=¶r/?÷Éf@µÏ=Æ÷/? Í…Ï=¸»>€Ál?Ò,g@1\Ï=øÇ/?÷Éf@µÏ=Æ÷/?Ñf@-ŠÅ=Ãl0? ‰¹é=曆>ât?*:g@;Æ= 60?Ñf@-ŠÅ=Ãl0?“×f@ À»=Ã0? ?¸ >xm4>îy?AGg@÷X¼=!†0?“×f@ À»=Ã0?iÝf@¼±=ïù0? ¿ù >ƒQ†=c"
    "