585,761 active members*
4,197 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Cloning HDD into Compact flash

Cloning HDD into Compact flash

Hello Dear Friends .
    I wonder if somebody could help me to find what i am doing wrong
    when i try to clone an already cloned real IDE Hard Disk that works perfectly
    into a compact flash with an IDE Adaptor .
    My machines are both ARROW 500 A2100 and work perfect with images
    that we made so many years ago with Acronis trueimage .We have been surviving
    with this until now but we have problems to find IDE HArd drives and decided to change
    them for compact flash in all our CNC milling machines . Our surprise was that the cloned image
    into compact flash booted perfect in any computer any other cnc machine different
    from ARROWS 500 and in these machines doesn't boot at all , it doesnt even complain nor gives any
    error , no blue screen , nothing just doesnt boot . I,ve tried everything , Acronis, G4L .
    The only program i haven´t tried is norton ghost . Both , Already cloned real IDE HD and Cloned
    compact flash behave the same outside these machines , but just boots the real HD on them .

Thanks a lot in advance for everything and sorry if i made a little mess trying to explain what is happening .

I'm going to guess that maybe the control in the Arrow 500 might not recognize the flash drive. This could possibly be due to size of the drive. A lot of older BIOSs couldn't recognize dives above a certain size. Maybe try it with a very small flash drive of 128 or 256MB.

Justin

If the BIOS has not been designed to be booted from multiple sources, then it just won't work with that early BIOS.
    Can you get into the BIOS to investigate the settings. That will soon show up the lack of facility, or you might find a setting to change.
    Make sure you write down the the existing settings before trying any changes.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.