586,009 active members*
4,790 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > MadCAM > Madcam pocketing and profiling bug in latest update?

Madcam pocketing and profiling bug in latest update?

I have Madcam 5 level 4x.

After installing the SR 3 2013-10-07 (7-October-2013) release

I noticed some changes in behavior for 2.5D pocketing, as well as a possible bug in 2.5D profiling.

When pocketing a closed curve with a .5 mm undercut (leaving .5mm stock) I notice that the procketing operation depth now stops .5mm above the specified depth of cut. Previously the pocketing operation would stop at the specified depth of cut.

When I profile that same curve, I use a spiral cut, so I set the depth of cut to the same depth as the profiling operation and specifiy a ramp angle. The machining curve seems to be generated properly, however it seems to be generating the toolpath twice. When I simulate it, it runs the profiling operation, and then immediatly starts over and runs the profiling operation again. I exploded the machining path curve, and indeed there are actually 2 identical curve segments where there should be one segment.

Upon more investigation this bug seems to be directly related to using a ramp approach while profiling. Profiling without a ramp approach does not cause this behavior. It appears to be the final pass that causes the repeated cut. So if say you are cutting 50 mms depth on a profile. And you set depth per pass to 10 with a ramp angle of 2 degrees, it will only be the final 10 mm to 0 mm profiling pass that will be repeated.

Thanks for your help,
    Curt

Curt, using the same version and SR as you, I found an interesting glitch as well.
    Madcam surfaced an outer section of a flat area and then skipped to do other things.
    It later came back to finish the rest of that flat area, but the cutter did so about .001 or so higher so that the center area of the flat region ended up with a raised inside.
    It's not the machine because Madcam surfaced another flat area in the same cut (which was below the problem region) where the cutter did some of the flat area, left to cut something else, and then came back to finish that flat surface, but on this area, it cut the remainder at the same and proper level as expected.

The raised areas on the problem region as described were "perfect" in that the outline of the raised areas was perfectly uniform and well defined like the cut was done "intentionally" as opposed to how I would expect it to have a less uniform appearance had something on the machine gotten loose or slipped.

Curious stuff, this.

Same experience as curtdutt.
    Doubled paths, cuts etc - same.
    How can we revert back to old version?
    Is there a fix being worked on?

Reverted by just running the installer for the 20130809 release. It asks if you want to revert.
    Ran "Select toolpath to recalculate" tool on a project that I programmed with 20131007 and it works.
    Verified by exploding and ungrouping the toolpath groups and all double lines were gone. Also, the z-height problem corrected.

There is a new service release for madCAM. See if this issue is solved for you.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Re: Madcam pocketing and profiling bug in latest update?